2014/06/03

Two is better than one, right? (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Savory Wheat Crackers & Tropical Napoleons)

This week, Tuesdays with Dorie took us on a cracker making mission.

Crackers and I have a love-hate relationship.

Sometimes, I make them and they come out perfectly crispy and life is good. Other times, not so much...

I really haven't figured out the rhyme or reason - I don't usually use the same recipe. (I know, I know...)

 
Since I was a little nervous about making the 85-million dozen crackers the recipe suggested, I cut the recipe in 1/3.

Savory wheat crackers are a pretty basic preparation - whole wheat flour, water and some salt. I was feeling a little lazy about the rolling process and opted to run them through my pasta roller. As long as I kept the dough well floured this worked like a charm.

The interesting part of these crackers was the topping. I topped it with sesame seed, celery seed and some charnushka (which I didn't realize was nigella at the time I was using it). I baked the first batch the recommended amount of time (3-4 minutes) and ended up with floppy pita like crackers. I doubled the time on the second batch and ended up with crispy bites.

I don't know what else to say about these - they were simple, they were tasty and fit into my schedule.
 
 
A couple of weeks ago, the group posted Tropical Napoleons. I made these (pictorial evidence provided), but somehow never got around to posting them.
 
Meringue is another one of those items I have a love-hate relationship with. Frankly, whipped egg-white dishes and I  just don't always get along. It's a curse, I tell you.
 
Unlike crackers, when it comes to meringue, I usually know what I did went wrong. Meringue problems usually fall into one of two camps: 1) improper egg whipping (usually a result of my impatience) or 2) humidity (it just doesn't like to be made in humid conditions).

This time around, failure to follow directions was my curse. I lazied out on the "spreading the meringue thin" part of things, resulting in disks that didn't quite harden up the way they were supposed to. Fortunately, they peeled off the parchment relatively easy and were able to be stacked and layered with some berries and mascarpone whipped cream - resulting in a pretty impressive, if not perfect dessert.
 
The sesame/ coconut flaked topped disks were a huge hit - we enjoyed eating them just as they were.
 
The big take-away for me from this recipe was that I really like toasted coconut flakes. I usually can't deal with shredded coconut (or raw coconut), but...toasted flakes, I totally enjoy. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

 
  
This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for Savory Wheat Crackers can be found here. A video about the Tropical Napoleons can be found here.

10 comments:

  1. Both look great! I planned on making the Napoleons, bought the fruit, and... well, did not get around to it. I may make the crackers on the next rewind - seems like they were a hit (and easy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig the idea of that Napolean. Sounds unlike anything I've had before. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy you had two hits. Those crackers look worth doing for a make up day! LOL at your comment moderation note...I get up to 1000 SPAM a day Weirdos for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two for the price of one is always better :) I was not in awe from these two recipes but I have to admit that at least the Napoleons deliver look-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. two successes! you were smart to make just 1/3 of the crackers...I made a 1/2 recipe, but still have 2 containers full of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so funny. Your crackers look great. And if you hadn't said anything about not spreading the meringues, I would never have realized that's not how they were supposed to look!

    In any case - fresh fruit & coconut - yes, please!
    Have a lovely weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking crackers! And I'm with you on the meringues - they can be so finicky. But anything with toasted coconut it bound to taste good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm planning on making the crackers next week and love your pasta roller idea. Thanks for the tip! I'm with you on meringue. My results are always inconsistent, and I never know what I did wrong. I'm with you on (almost) never making the same recipe twice...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think if we could post photos of what we made that never made it to posts, I would actually make deadlines. The crackers and napoleon look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have just seen this and I'm in shock! Cher ate COCONUT?!? and LIKED it?!? Did hell freeze over? LOL! What's next - cookies?????

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.