2014/06/11

Would you, could you? (French Fridays with Dorie: Salmon Rillettes)

Those salmon rillettes, those salmon rilletes
How does one eat those salmon rillettes...

Would you, could you on a plane?

 
Several nights ago, the girls and I were spending an unusually docile night watching a Molly Ringwald marathon. (I was very surprised to learn that my youngest daughter had already seen The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink and 16 Candles... The eldest had not seen any of them.  How does this happen?)

Somewhere in the midst of  Pretty in Pink's forlorn Ducky, the passed-out foreign exchange student in 16 Candles and Ally Sheedy's makeover, we started talking about life in the 80's. (Whatever happened to Anthony Michael Hall, by the way?) Unfortunately, I had a little bit too much first hand knowledge. (Yes, they really DID wear their hair like that. Ice blue eyeshadow was totally a thing. And yes, the car/ cell phones back in the day WERE really huge.)

Eventually, the subject of food in a can (I remember eating a lot of food in a can during the 80's) came up. Which of course, brings me to one of my favorite can-meals - salmon patties. This week's French Fridays recipe took me back on the pre-packaged salmon train (vacuum sealed - no cans in sight) in a totally different direction from those patties of old.

Okay, so maybe I won't be dishing these out on a plane anytime soon as suggested above (I am sure my fellow passengers are very grateful for that); however, I will say that salmon rillettes & pita chips do make a for a tasty pre-flight lunch (and one that makes it through TSA screening).

Confession time: I totally short-cut this recipe. The fresh salmon in the store did not look worth the cash outlay and the refrigerated case had some very nice looking smoked fillets sitting next to the sliced smoked salmon. Instead of flaking nicely poached salmon, I chopped the two smoked salmons together with a chef knife and then mashed in softened butter, scallions, shallots, garlic, a little bit of lemon juice and some some kosher salt together to form a chunky paste.

A couple of hours in the fridge and it was ready to go - and so was I!
 
 
This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. Dorie's salmon rillettes recipe can be found here.

6 comments:

  1. This was actually my favorite of the three rillettes! Will definitely be making it again! Like your shortcuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually found myself thinking that this probably would've worked (and been an awful lot cheaper) with canned salmon. The smoked salmon flavor carries the recipe anyway. Your shortcut versions sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shortcuts. All girls need a Molly Ringwald movie marathon, and hey, I think Ice Blue Eye Shadow and Navy Mascara are making a comeback....right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your shortcut would have made just as nice a mixture as the poached/smoked version. Though the flavour of the poached salmon was really nice.

    And for the record, my favourite Eighties eyeshadow collection included the palest of blue, yellow, and pink with a white one to boot. If I got really crazy, I'd wear them all in a striped pattern across my lids. Ah, youth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect travel snack. I do love anything with pita chips. Have you read Molly Ringwald's short story collection?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, my first eye shadow was definitely blue. And I yearned for a "lopsided" haircut (but never actually got one). I finally made the rillettes this week and loved it. Your shortcut version sounds just as wonderful, and great idea to use pita chips!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.