2014/07/11

Lesson learned (French Fridays with Dorie: Shrimp-filled Zucchini Blossoms)

I headed out to the Farmer's Market on a Saturday morning. 

One very hot summer morning.

I drove around the neighborhood several times trying to find a parking spot - a few streets over, I found one. Did I mention how hot it was? And that I had to parallel park?  Parallel parking is SO NOT my thing. Thank goodness for back up assist and proximity sensors in cars.

I was hot and cranky as I made my way downtown to the market pavilion. But I kept on going. Squash blossoms were on my mind.

Stall after stall, I searched and searched for the elusive blossoms.

No dice.

Finally, at the very last stall (seriously, it was the very last stinking stall that I looked at), I spotted trays upon trays of the most beautiful blossoms one could hope for.


I asked the vendor if I could search through them, since I needed several. 

At which point, he not so nicely informed me that THESE blossoms were reserved and no, I could not look through them. Okay then...

Game over - there were no blossoms to be had. I grunted in frustration and walked back (uphill) to where my car was parked. (All was not totally lost - I picked up several pints of some of the best strawberries I have had in a long time from a different vendor. Mr. "No Squash Blossoms for You" wasn't getting a dime of my produce dollars.)

Fortunately, on the ride home (did I mention that I drove a half hour to get to said market?), I remembered that I had made these late last summer when squash blossoms were abundant at the market. I crossed my fingers and hoped that there were still had some pictures hiding away on the computer as proof that I hadn't totally failed Mission Blossom.


Now, I could make up some story about how I made these and "how this" and "how that" they were, but I won't... Let's be real - I can barely remember what happened this morning, let alone what happened almost a year ago. I remember liking them, but that's about it.

Sad, but true.

Reality isn't always pretty, my friends.

P.S. The moral of the story - get to the stinking farmer's market at the crack of dawn. It's the only way you stand a chance of getting what you want (unless of course, you are looking for cucumbers, kale or peppers - there never seems to be any danger of those running out). 

Peace out.

XO

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. It's not Dorie's version, but Martha Stewart and Curtis Stone talk about a recipe for stuffed zucchini blossoms with a blackberry balsamic reduction here.

15 comments:

  1. A for effort! It's good that you've already made them, so don't have to catch up on it. Every time I think I'm close to catching up, I miss a few more. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alternatively, take Mr Neil with you to the market where he will spot them a mile away in a sea of other produce, swoop in and grab the last box of them before you even notice!

    Anyway, you made these (doesn't matter when!). And you got a great story out of looking for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up!!! WAY to go even finding the old photos...you get triple brownie points!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cher, You have me smiling! I was so surprised that my little farm was willing to pick some blossoms for me. Love your pictures of proof, but I would have believed you anyway! I have so many photos of things I meant to post, on my computer, but I can’t remember for what recipes. Someday I’ll get it together! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How frustrating, Cher! But I love that your top photo matches mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get points for finding the old photos and for driving that half hour to the farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the story. I went to 3 different farmer's markets and I still didn't get any. c'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't get any either. I'm hoping I get a few blossoms from the plant on my backyard soon. Looking forward to seeing you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the plus side, it makes for a very entertaining story for your friends;-)

    The moral of the story seems to be that one can never plan for zucchini blossoms. You just have to buy them when you happen to see them and take advantage of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least you took pictures for proof when you made them last year! How frustrating to find zucchini blossoms and not be able to buy them... You story is why I didn't even bother trying to find them and am hoping for my garden to come through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I just already figured there would not be a blossom to be had at the Aspen Farmer's Market YET. So I passed. I also thought since I was going to be in Santa Fe this week, I could eat at various restaurants and see how the "pros" did it. Didn't Zucchini-filled blossoms start in Santa Fe? I ate dinner at three of the best restaurants in town and lunch at two of the tourists-favorites and not a Zucchini or Squash Blossom-filled tempura fritter was to be found ANYWHERE. Those dinners were pricey. I am home now and still resenting that I found nada. So, I not only broke the bank eating at expensive restaurants, I also came home empty-handed. The moral of this story is: Please forward your last year's digital pictures to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing worse than tramping about in the heat and not coming away with what you were looking for. I'm glad you found strawberries (at a much nicer vendor's stall) to take home with you. And double points for trying to make this one a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How frustrating! I am so sorry! After seeing the pictures I thought there'd be a happy ending to your story, but no. I am impressed that you already made this, took pictures at the time, and managed to find them. That's a win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really wanted to make these. No blossoms in my market, heck it is hard to find food that is not moldy or expired in my markets this time of year. And that parallel parking thing - I just don't do it, if there is not a parking lot or valet going to be in deep trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was not ever able to find the blossoms either. Apparently I wasn't willing to go to extremes. Oh well. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.