2014/07/06

Wish you were here... (French Fridays with Dorie: Tomatoes Provencal)

Ah. Summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

Time to kick back.

Take it slow.

Keep it simple.



This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe, Tomatoes Provencal was about as simple as simple can be.

Tomatoes. Herbs. Garlic. Salt. Pepper. Olive oil.

A short roast in the oven.

Done.

Tomatoes are just barely starting to come into season in this neck of the woods, but Whole Foods (yay, we finally got one...) had some nice looking cherry tomatoes that I thought would work. I pulled oregano, thyme and rosemary from my container garden (i.e. the only garden that my currently brown thumb is capable of maintaining) and combined them with kitchen staples salt, pepper & olive oil before throwing them in a moderate oven.


I am not usually a huge fan of fresh tomatoes; however, I did enjoy the almost jammy texture that these took on. They were delicious smeared on top of chunks of ricotta salata as part of a light summer supper.


It was vacation week at Chez Cher.

It was nice to have a few days to recharge. We took the relatively short drive to Newport, RI and spent a few days taking in the sights. It was Runner Girl's first time in Newport.

Several summer "cottages" were toured.

Time was spent on the ocean and at the beach.

Plenty of seafood was eaten. (It paid to become chummy with the hotel's valet parking attendant)

I may be a bit biased, but in my mind there is nothing quite like summer along the New England shores...

XO


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect place to spend a few days, Cher! I love Newport…and those summer cottages are quite amazing!
    Your Tomatoes Provencal look superb! Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delicious recipe - I could live on this all summer - our tomatoes are just beginning to pop!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cherry tomatoes were a great idea. I had some that I should have used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be my standard tomato prep all summer I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you served them, on your patio, with the cheese and other accompaniments. Here's to slow summer evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so glad you had a few days in Newport with your family. That's an historic place that is still on my to-visit list. About those "summer cottages" - something to see, huh? It seems as if everyone who made some variation of this tomato recipe really enjoyed it. Glad you and I were members of that crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea with cherry tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not been to the New England shores yet. We really enjoyed these too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These tomatoes are everywhere, I am a big fan of them :D
    Delicious photos!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those sorts of leisurely vacations where you can check things out and relax. You picked a beautiful spot for it, too. I think roasted tomatoes are a great way to use them (I'm not a fan of raw tomatoes, really) and this recipe was so simple and full of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your vacation sounds delightful. We always talk about heading up there one summer. Hopefully it will happen eventually...

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.