2014/08/05

Do you ever wonder? (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Poppyseed Torte)

Apparently, not very many people in my neck of the woods buy their poppy seeds two cup-fulls at a time. This was the conclusion I reached after seeing the reaction of the cashier at the grocery store.

I have to believe that customers make stranger purchases than that...

I know this to be true because I've looked.

Am I the only one that checks out stalks the contents of fellow-shoppers carts and tries to wonder what's going on in their world?



A loaf of bread. Two cans of Spaghetti-O's. A packet of Hot Pockets. I am guessing single. Hopefully, under the age of 25. 

A cart full of produce. Six packages of macaroni and cheese. A bag of flour. Someone trying to feed their family healthfully - however, one fussy hold-out is running around the house. (Been there, done that). 

Six cans of cat food. A roll of duct tape. A box of microwave pop corn. Run. Run as fast as you can and make sure that person isn't following you home... (Just saying.)

Fortunately, for all involved, the two cups of poppy seeds were destined for fairly benign purposes. I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of a cake whose main components were two cups of group poppy seeds, a cup and a half of ground pound cake and seven eggs. The ginger and vanilla bean poached apricots - I was not worried about. The cake with the weird ingredients? That had me worried.

Somehow, this oddball, hot mess collection of ingredients came together to form one moist and surprisingly delicious cake. (And one that I would definitely make again in the future.)

My failure to pre-read the entire recipe caused a slight deviation in the finished product (I didn't realize that you were supposed to press half of the apricots into the cake batter BEFORE baking). However, since I was baking the cake the night before I planned on serving it, I have a feeling that my omission worked out for the best (humid weather & soft fruit don't always work out for the best).

Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Peace out. 

XO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The episode where contributing baker Markus Farbinger teaches Julia about the torte can be found here.

9 comments:

  1. Your torte looks really good... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha- that hot mess of ingredients made me so intrigued by this recipe. glad you liked it, and i think that everyone who didn't bake with us this week missed out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking I missed out for sure! Everyone's cakes look lovely, and you all liked it to boot. Another fab post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. had to sit out the last few rounds-currently relocating to virginia; cannot wait to get back to it with everyone! your cake looks very tempting so i may have to try making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ingredient list did sound weird. But your torte looks great and it tasted good too! Will try to make it some rewind week since I have heard nothing but good things about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I skipped this one for now. I couldn't get over the fact that I'd need to bake (or purchase) a cake, just so I could make crumbs to make this one. If you say it's worth making again, though, I just might need to give it a shot. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your torte looks fantastic, I wouldn't mind a nice big piece please :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is an interesting one with ground pound cake as an ingredient. I'm wondering how it gets so dark, is that from the poppy seeds? I do love poppy seeds as an ingredient in baking (and poppies in the garden, too) and the poached apricots also sound delicious. (From another mom of young adults.)_

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do the same at the grocery store- so fun to picture and create stories about what is in people's carts. I missed this one but everyone liked it so I will have to make it in September, maybe with pears?

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.