2014/08/15

So, I ate the alligator tail, as one does... (French Fridays with Dorie: Roasted Peppers)

This has been one of the strangest food weeks that I have had in a long time...

It started off with fried alligator, raw oysters and New York strip steaks in Louisiana (among other things) and moved on to fried...everything and Greek food in South Carolina.

Nothing made sense and everything made sense.


I am pretty darn sure that if someone told me a year or two ago that I would be chowing down on 'gator tail and slurping raw oysters off the shell like it was my J.O.B. (and talking co-workers into trying it too), I would have looked them straight in the eye and asked them if they were off their rocker.

Of course, I probably would have had the same reaction if that same someone told me that I would be eating foie gras and cooking up chicken livers.

I am definitely a more adventurous eater than I used to be.

Please don't pat me on the back too quickly, though - shredded coconut and raisins are still on my "steer clear" list and I will never, ever enjoy the taste of chicken livers. I'll gladly cook them up for anyone that wants them - just keep them the heck off my plate... Apparently, however, reptiles are a green light.

Fortunately, this week's French Friday journey took us down the road less daring...

Roasted peppers are one of those things that so many of us would stop and buy at that store without a second thought, but they really couldn't be easier to make at home. All you need is some peppers, a hot oven and a little oil and herbs to marinate them in. It's pretty much a non-recipe recipe (although, Dorie nicely writes up the process for making them here).

These peppers fit in perfectly as part of an antipast platter (hiding upper right), along with some baby tomatoes, cubed ham and salami, pepperjack and provolone cheese, artichoke hearts, olives and some pepperoncini to even it all out. The platter was served along side a big, ol' bowl of romaine lettuce (not shown) and some zesty oil and vinegar dressing.

Yup, after chowing down on alligator tail, roasted peppers were a no-brainer...

I am so looking forward to my protein shake for breakfast on Saturday morning.

Peace out.

XOXO

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

20 comments:

  1. It's a great way to use up peppers that are a wee bit past their prime, too. It was way too hot here for me to crank my oven for this, but I have roasted peppers many times before. I'll catch up on this once the heat breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See now, *I* wouldn't eat alligator (though I hear it tastes just like chicken!). Enjoy your weekend Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These peppers were good and surprisingly easy, given what they charge for them at the supermarket. I've eaten things I'd never imagined as part of FFWD too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, love your platter of antipasta! I'd probably pass on the alligator tail, but...maybe if Dorie had a recipe???

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so brave, I love your courage! :D
    But these peppers, though less adventurous, are so delicious anyway!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I failed at the most basic of recipes! I hope you got some beignets to go with your alligator!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to see some photos from your trip! I can't eat peppers - LOL! But I did have aligator in Charleston & really enjoyed it. Aren't we all just more brave because of being Doristas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My question for you is, does it taste just like chicken? That’s what I’ve always heard.
    I love roasted peppers…and they were so easy! Glad you enjoyed them. Your antipasto platter looks very appetizing!! Happy Friday, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I saw alligator in the first line I almost stopped reading your blog,
    but looking at the antipasto platter made me keep going. That looks fantastic, and perfect with peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There used to be a fun restaurant not far from the High Line park in NYC called the Gulf Coast. They served alligator fritters as an appetizer and I loved them, but I grew up eating things like eels. Love raw oysters too, but I'm from the shore... so glad you discovered the simplicity of making your own roasted peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you've been having some wonderful food adventures. I think French Fridays has been good for all our palates. Your antipasto platter looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup- you had me at that plate of antipasto. And clearly I do have a sweet tooth as I also am focused on whether or not you enjoyed some Beignets. This is coming from someone who needs to start doing the protein shake thing herself :) But thumbs up for the gator as well as doing the roasted peppers at home. They made a lovely addition to that fabulous platter of yum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The antipasto platter looks fantastic, with the roasted peppers hiding in the corner. Is there any left? I'm coming over. Your eating adventures sound fun, though I have a feeling you might be doing another Suja cleanse soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, you are such a good writer. Love the idea of antipasti plate. No raisins huh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I get the gator tail and oysters in Louisiana. The NY strip steak, not so much. But Greek food in South Carolina? Where? I lived in SC for six very loooong months and never met a Greek. Yup, the roasted peppers turned out to be a slam-dunk and a very delicious one. Serving on an antipasto plate always works. Protein shakes are overrated!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good idea to use the peppers on an antipasto platter! We lived in Louisiana for a few years and sampled several new foods. The gator wasn't bad but I can't get into raw oysters or suckin mud bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fun food week! I have never tried 'gator, but I did try sea cucumber once (and no, it's not a vegetable). But, no matter what food adventure you are on, it is always nice to get back to "normal" eating, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Antipasto was a great use for these peppers -

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous antipasta platter. I'm not sure about the alligator, but I would have been right there with you for the oysters. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, my idea of being a more adventurous eater is learning to eat fennel :-) I'm so glad that you're enjoying trying new foods. What fun! Sometimes it's hard to beat old stand-bys, though, and your antipasto platter does look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.