2014/09/02

Holding on (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Oven-Roasted Plum Cake)

Today, I saw some trees exhibit the first flush of autumn.

Edges of green leaves starting to shift toward shades of orange and red.

The days have taken a Jekyll and Hyde approach - one day is firmly planted in the realm of summer, the next sending bold hints about the days ahead.

I have a love-hate relationship with these last few weeks of summer.

On one hand, I am looking forward to the glory that is early autumn in Upstate NY. Few things compare to those lazy, weekend afternoon drives through the mountains when the leaves are at the peak of color.

On the other hand, I know that those lovely days are soon to be followed by long stretches of sub-freezing weather and many hours of "quality time" with snow shovels and mind-numbing cold.

I have decided that I am going to hold on to every last vestige of summer as tightly as I can - there is no need to surrender yet...


Desserts like this oven-roasted plum cake are a nice transition between summer and autumn.

Plums, one of the summer's tail end fruits plays nicely with a warm, fall-like cake batter.

Although the recipe calls for this recipe to be baked in individual ramekins, I opted to throw it all in one cast iron skillet.

No one complained - especially once a large scoop of vanilla bean ice cream was served alongside.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't spend too much time talking about the food tonight.

There are still summer sunsets to be enjoyed and I am not quite ready to let this one pass me by without enjoying it.


Peace out.

XO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for oven roasted plum cakes can be found here.

10 comments:

  1. I love that you made this in a cast iron skillet! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like everyone enjoyed it. And yes, I agree, I think I too will go check out the sunset right now. Ouu!! I just turned around and there's a rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like everyone enjoyed it and that is what matters in the end. :) Maybe I should have attempted a whole cake as well as I did not have enough ramekins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you did it in one cast iron skillet. I want to do that too. Did it cook much longer? I am green with envy about your fall colors. I don't get them here in Houston and I think I'd give a kidney for some autumn in my life! Ahhh, some day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These kinds of cakes are my very favorite! I have a recipe for a plum kuchen, that was given to me years ago, and is still requested every fall! Yours looks beautiful! Enjoy the sunsets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how anyone can dismiss plum cakes - they are the most moist (woah, that was weird :P) cakes I have ever had, and so spring like :D
    Yours looks awesome!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not ready for summer to end, even though fall is my favorite time of year. I have always wanted a porch with rocking chairs... This was a tasty and easy recipe - even easier making one large cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you did yours as one cake; I was not brave enough to do that! Next time. Enjoy those sunsets….

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we need to exchange temps. I cannot wait for cold weather, admittedly that means 60 degrees in the desert, but it has to be better than perpetually miserably hot summer days - seriously 112 on Sept. 15th.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cast iron skillet was a great idea! I tried muffin tins (I don't own 12 ramekins), but they really weren't big enough...It's hard to beat fall in the north east.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.