2014/09/24

Not complicated (French Fridays with Dorie: Shrimp & Mango "ceviche")

First of all, how come it is Wednesday already??? I am pretty sure that someone is messing with my personal time/ space continuum and that I have been thrust into a different dimension.

Just saying...

In other news, my missing house keys finally showed up. (In the center of console of my car - a place I never put anything.) This may not excite the rest of the world, but I have been looking for them for over a month. (It wasn't the house keys I was worried about, it was the mail key - getting a replacement key from the USPS was not a road that I wanted to travel down...)

Life is so complicated, sometimes.

Do you know what wasn't complicated? This (um, I mean last) week's French Fridays with Dorie.
I suppose this dish could have been more complicated if had I followed the directions for the raw tuna; however, since I took the "bonne idee" approach and turned the dish into an avocado and mango salad with cooked shrimp on top (a link to the original ceviche recipe can be found below). We really enjoyed this as a salad and thought it would have been nice to eat along with some grilled fish during the heat of summer. Since it was 40F and not very summer-like, this salad was paired with a more seasonal entree (that was also uncomplicated) of lemon-pepper paparadelle with shrimp.

Speaking of seasons and change and all that stuff, I really enjoy spending time in NYC after all the kids have headed back to school and the tourist population has somewhat receded.

While we were there, we went to the 9/11 Yankee game. (Yes, we really were that close to Jeter.)


We revisited La Grenouille (I was craving a souffle...) and took a ride over to Williamsburg (Brooklyn) and hung out for the day. While in Williamsburg, we took a tour of the Mast Brothers Chocolate factory - a bean to bar chocolate maker. And of course, when one is in Williamsburg, one must eat... Just because.

I think we could have scheduled a second day in Brooklyn for the sole purpose of bakery hopping. I am so keeping that in the hopper for a future trip!


A late night stroll through Times Square on a Saturday Evening was also in the cards.


A trip (trips) to my favorite bakery was also in order. (The marcarons and croissants just couldn't be denied).


I can't stop thinking about those macarons.

Peace out.

XO

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. The recipe for Dorie's Tuna and Mango Ceviche can be found here.

9 comments:

  1. I am being put to shame by everyone who made the Ceviche. Almost all of you have loved it. I'll thought it might be better to put that recipe together when I'm in Cali this winter. I LOVE DJeter and I am not even a Yankees fan. Once a Cubbie, always a Cubbie. Your week-end sounds amazing and invigorating and lovely. I am food-envious, that's for sure. I watched Ken Burns' "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History" for 7 straight nights, didn't miss an episode and thot about you ever night. Hyde Park and all the other Roosevelt haunts are on my List. I am going to knock off 3 Pres Libraries in Texas in early November. Also, have just picked up my packet of Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte Mix. WISH U WERE HERE!!! (sarcasm font)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Kathy had parallel celebratory weekends in NYC. A wonderful way to celebrate your birthday!

    I think the shrimp version sounds as good as the tuna ceviche. You're all making me want to go back and try it that way. Oh, and I feel for you with the keys. I've found mine in some odd places on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup macarons are addictive! Your shrimp ceviche looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew on the keys. Now will you come to Indiana and help me find my lost stuff??? I love the tuna version so much, that I know the shrimp would be fantastic, too. Looks like a terrific time in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still dream of the pumpkin and salted caramel macarons at Bouchon. Three years is too long to stay away from good old New York.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I enjoyed the tuna version, I think I would LOVE the shrimp version (too bad my husband won't eat shrimp). Sounds like a fun day in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the look of the shrimp version. From all accounts, this was the way to do it. Love your vacation snapshots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous of your trip to New York. The baked goods alone sound amazing, and I can't believe you were that close to Jeter. Too cool! The ceviche and vanilla salad were good, but your main courses (the paparadelle and sweet potato fried "rice") sound excellent, and so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fortunate to be close enough to spend your birthday in New York! Everything sounds great, and wow - how close were you to Jeter? A bakery hopping trip sounds full of potential!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.