2014/10/24

All figured out (French Fridays with Dorie: Baking Chez Moi)

It's a special week over at French Fridays with Dorie.

We're celebrating the Dorie's birthday, the release of Dorie's new book (Baking Chez Moi) and four - count them - four years of cooking together.

First of all - we are celebrating with a few surprises from the upcoming book (yes, the pictures are a spoiler alert) - more about that later. 


Now, I am headed on vacation in less than 7 hours (as of the time I start writing this post). Since we have all been hanging together for so long, I thought I would play a game of "what would Cher do"...

Q) It is seven hours until I have to leave for the airport and the following chores need to be done: packing, FFwD post writing, house cleaning, sleep. In what order do I accomplish these tasks?

A) If you guessed post writing, house cleaning, packing and sleep - then you know me well. Yes, I am procrastinating.

Q) I have one set of items ready to go. What is it? a) toiletries, b) socks, c) breakfast to take on the plane, d) chargers and cords for my devices.

A) c) Breakfast, of course. Airport food is so sketchy.

Q) The control freak side of me refuses to leave one thing to chance. Was it a) printed directions between all planned destinations (plus a map and GPS for good measure), b) reservations for dinner each night (who wants to take a chance on that?) or c) back up power sources for all devices.

A) Printed directions - I don't mind detours, but I really don't want to make national news as "that tourist" who got lost in the wilderness.

Bonus Question: The French Fridays with Dorie wants to celebrate. What do they make? a) aspic cake; b) salmon in a jar; c) desserts, lots and lots of dessert; d) beef bourguignon.

A) Desserts, lots and lots of desserts.Although, I was a little bit scared that the aspic cake was up for consideration...


Yup, this week the FFwD crew is celebrating all of the events listed above with desserts from Dorie's new book Baking Chez Moi.

I went straight for the chocolate cream puffs with mascarpone filling (which had the added benefit of using up some of that infamous rose extract) and the brown-butter peach (and mango) torte.  Why make one dessert to celebrate when you have two?

Now, the highlight of the cream puffs was chocolate choux. These were made protiferole style, but I can totally see some chocolate eclairs with raspberry cream filling in the future. (Liz, do you know where I can find some?) P.S. I followed the directions.

Now, for the brown butter-peach (and mango) torte, I went a little off the beaten path and threw in some mango chunks in with the peaches. I also went all Mardi on this this recipe and mini-fied the one large torte into four small tortes. (And used the leftover filling to make a crisp).

If this is a sampling of what's to come, I think every one is in for a real treat.

Now, if I ever want to get any sleep tonight, I need to stop talking about cream puffs and tortes and get that dishwasher loaded so that I can pack!

Peace out.

XOXO


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. The recipes for Chocolate Cream Puffs with Mascarpone Filling can be found here. The recipe for Brown Butter-Peach Torte can be found here. And of course, Baking Chez Moi is coming out October 28th.(Tuesdays with Dorie is going to start baking from the book in November, so now is the perfect time to order a copy and start baking along).

Here is what everyone else baked this week!

       
  • Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
  •    
  • Adriana from Great Food 360┬║
  •    
  • Gaye from Laws of the Kitchen
  •    
  • Sanya from Kitchen Therapy
  •    
  • Mardi from eat.live.travel.write
  •    
  • Kathy from Bakeaway with Me
  •    
  • Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
  •    
  • Tricia and Nana from Tricia and Nana Cooking with Dorie
  •    
  • Katie from Prof Who Cooks
  •    
  • Emily from Emily's Cooking Foray
    •    
    • Mardi from eat.live.travel.write
    •    
    • Kathy from Bakeaway with Me
      •    
      • Tammy from Chez Nous
      •    
      • Mary from Lights on Bright No Brakes
      •    
      • Betsy from A Plateful of Happiness
      •    
      • Rosa from One Expat's Life
      •    
      • Teresa from One Wet Foot
      •    
      • Diane from Cafe Mom Cooks
      •    
      • Susan from Create Amazing Meals
      •    
      • Emily from Emily's Cooking Foray
      •    
      • Eileen from Cookbook Immersion Project
        •    
        • Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
        •    
        • Teresa from One Wet Foot
        •    
        • Margaret from Tea and Scones

        • 22 comments:

          1. What a fun post, Cher! I'm SO glad that we go to meet in person! Looking forward to continuing the journey with you.

            Have a lovely vacation!
            xoxo

            ReplyDelete
          2. YAY - honoured to get a mention in this post and love that you are minifying things now too! Means you get to eat more of them, right? Both your desserts look lovely and I hope you are having a fab time on your vacation. PS: I totally would have prioritised organising my breakfast above all those other things too!

            ReplyDelete
          3. Haha, I'll work on sourcing that raspberry cream for you, Cher ;) Have a terrific vacation...glad to know you have your priorities in order!! xo
            P.S. splendid bakeathon results!!!

            ReplyDelete
          4. Sounds like me on the evening before vacation. I am a rather famous procrastinator too when it comes to packing and why pack when you have tasty baked goods to write about!

            Happy vacation!

            ReplyDelete
          5. Have a BRILLIANT time on holiday! Haha I procrastinate all the time for everything, so I get you :D

            Cheers
            Choc Chip Uru

            ReplyDelete
          6. A fun post, Cher!! Love both your choices…they look beautiful! I can’t wait to try the mascarpone filling…I served mine with ice cream and chocolate sauce!
            Have a fabulous vacation! I’m also glad to see you have your priorities in order!

            ReplyDelete
          7. Want it all. Including the vacation. And loved the raspberry and mini-fied references - too funny. Glad that as usual you got it all done and have your priorities in perfect order. Have a fabulous vacation...

            ReplyDelete
          8. Fabulous bake-a-thon! My inner control freak would do a, b, c, and probably a couple things you left off.

            Hope you have a fabulous vacation! When you get the winter blues you should head out to SoCal and visit!

            ReplyDelete
          9. Cher, I've loved your sense of humor for a long time and those profiteroles look fantastic! Hope your trip goes well. It's bound to, what with your breakfast planning (I totally agree re airport/airplane food and what we eat for breakfast really sets the tone for the whole day)!

            ReplyDelete
          10. I'm looking forward to trying the chocolate cream puffs - yours look beautiful. And I had a feeling mango would be good with these - the peach and mango must have been wonderful together. I used an 8-1/2 inch springform, so I had enough left for a crisp, too.

            Have a wonderful vacation! (I can relate to your procrastination - even something as lovely as a holiday can provoke it.)

            ReplyDelete
          11. Both of these look fab!! I was soooo tempted by the choux buns, and it sounds as if I have to make them. Have a great trip!

            ReplyDelete
          12. I hope you are having a wonderful holiday Cher!
            You did a fab job on the desserts! Both look delicious!
            Love the quiz! We have a lot in common :)

            ReplyDelete
          13. Let's see... how would I have done the Cher game?

            1) Packing, house cleaning, sleep, post writing. It would have probably been a makeup (although I'm being 'good' these days).

            2) Chargers and cords and toiletries (well, most of them anyways) are always good to go... then again, at what time was that flight?

            3) Restaurant reservations... at least two or three. If there's a GPS, there's a way.

            #4 is the happy obvious...

            Have a wonderful vacation! Looking forward to the pictures of the woods you won't get lost in.

            ReplyDelete
          14. love your mini-fied tourtes, and I went all pear so we are off the beaten track together this week! Glad to know I'm not the only one!

            Enjoy your vacation and I love that you have your priorities straight !! The last trip I left on, I sat and finished a post and scheduled twitter before I would leave the house and made the entire family wait to leave for an additional hour... haha! :)

            Happy Trifecta Celebration Day, Cher!
            PS Aspic cake terrifies me too!

            ReplyDelete
          15. Cher, I hope you write for a living because you are so funny. Always love your posts. A few of you did the make two dessert idea, I should have done that. Two is better than one. Have a great vacation. Look forward to baking with you on TWD.

            ReplyDelete
          16. Ha! I do wonder what you would have had to say about aspic cake. Fortunately, Liz and Susan picked something much more delicious. Thanks for the preview of the profiteroles and tourte. They look delicious. I picked the cookies. Hope your vacation is full of adventure! Looking forward another year of cooking with you!

            ReplyDelete
          17. Hi Cher! I think this answers the mystery... your trip IS this week. Maybe my email didn't go through. I'm in CA this week until Thursday. Anyway, your desserts both look wonderful. I only made the palets, which are both divine and addicting. I would have loved to make the others, but I suppose there will be time! Enjoy your trip!

            ReplyDelete
          18. Such a brown-noser, very impressive launch into Chez Moi by making two of the choices and even being creative and inventive. I would have come to a complete halt after the cream puffs, put myself down in front of them with a glass of milk and polish those babies off. They look delicious, Cher. I wish I had made the Peach Torte when we had such good peaches here. Your smaller versions look yummy. I have been thinking of you all week and just hoping your having a great vacation. Well-deserved, that's for sure. xoxox

            ReplyDelete
          19. The brown butter made a surprising difference to this tart, didn't it? I can't wait to try the chocolate cream puffs and chocolate eclairs with raspberry cream sounds divine!

            ReplyDelete
          20. Your quiz cracked me up. I hope you had a great vacation. I'm really looking forward to making both of these desserts with TWD.

            ReplyDelete

          Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

          Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.