2014/11/04

Eventually, we'll get to the point (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Alsatian Onion Tart)

This week, the Tuesdays with Dorie crew continued on its puff pastry spree with an Alsatian Onion Tart. So of course, I am featuring a picture of a road sign.

For some reason, Alsace makes me think of the Alps (Yes, I know that Alsace is not in the Alps - I can't help where my mind takes me).

And the Alps make me think of moose.

Which remind me of all the Elk that we saw up at the Grand Canyon.

And since Elk related pictures are much more attractive than any of my pictures of this tart, I present to you an "look out for elk" road sign.

It all makes sense now, right?


It's been a while since I used Cher logic in a post - I figured I was long overdue...


Back to puff pastry...

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie challenge was another recipe with the goal of using up puff pastry scraps.

Puff pastry was rolled into a 12" round and topped with onions that had been slow cooked in chicken broth (with a touch of cream and some seasonings added at the end) and sprinkled with bacon (because, well, bacon...). Because I had rolled out the crust and prepared the onion filling ahead of time (wrap well and store in the refrigerator until ready to use), this became part of a weeknight-friendly dinner. I cooked the bacon while the oven warmed up, assembled and baked it off. It may not win any beauty awards, but paired with leftover butternut squash soup, it was one of those weeknight meals that didn't make me grumpy... (Who really wants to spend an hour over the stove and then handle all that clean up after working all day?)

At the end of the day, not being grumpy IS an accomplishment all on its own...

XO


This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. A version (with the added bonus of fromage blanc) of the Alsatian Onion Tart can be found here.

10 comments:

  1. I love Cher logic!! This was totally tasty. I did the same as you with the prep in advance, and loved how easy it came together. I (ever the obedient one) diced 4 large onions, and it was way too many. P.S. Your tart looks great and I want some of that soup. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the train of thought. Great weeknight meal, right?! (If the prep was done.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Cher logic! Is this a "tarte flambée" then? LOVE those and yours looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cher, you ALWAYS give me the inspiration to try to cook more from my Dorie book, so thank you! (Uh, I thought that was a moose sign.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was easy and so tasty...win, win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the logic, and butternut squash soup is one of my all-time faves! Crazy amount of onions they ask for. Still, this was easy and delish. A keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cher logic almost sounds like a six-degrees game. Does everything lead to the elk sign? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a tasty tart, it looks really tasty (but anything with puff pastry automatically wins :D)
    And love your Cher logic!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. makes perfect sense! and good idea to pair this tasty tart with butternut soup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the elk sign :-) What fun!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.