2014/11/25

May your table be filled with... (Tuesdays with Dorie Baking Chez Moi: Cranberry Crackle Tart)

If you have a cranberry obsession, raise your hand.

(Raises hand.)

I can't help it.

I do.

One of my favorite things about the holiday season is the presence of that ever controversial, ever ubiquitous hunk of ridged, gelatinous cranberry jelly.

That cranberry sauce has been on almost every holiday table that I can remember since the dawn of time (well, at least the dawn of my memories).

I generally make my own these days; however, if someone just happened to leave an open can around, I would totally grab a spoon and sneak a few bites. In this, I have no shame...



This week's Tuesdays with Dorie (the Baking Chez Moi edition) took us down the cranberry trail (no cans involved...)

Dorie's sweet tart dough is slathered with a healthy dose of cherry preserves and then topped with a silky meringue that has been folded together with fresh cranberries. 

The mixture is baked until the meringue begins to "crackle". 

The final dessert is a mixture of textures and flavors - the shortbread-like texture of the tart dough, the smooth tang of the cherry preserves, the crisp crunch of the meringue, followed by the tart, juicy pop of the cranberries. 

The best of the cranberry world - minus the ridges. 


I wish a very Happy, Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating. I hope your table has at least one form of cranberries gracing it - ridges, optional.

XOXO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for Cranberry Crackle Tart can be found here - even better yet, it can also be found in Baking Chez Moi (a title which definitely deserves room on the cookbook shelf).

20 comments:

  1. There's no shame in canned cranberry jelly stuff. I love it, and I don't care who knows. Ha! Your tart looks great. I made this 2 weeks ago, and have yet to post about it. Maybe after lunch...

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ridges optional" TOO funny Cher ;) Your crackle looks fab! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Cher! Cranberries are never optional - although I have to admit I haven't had the canned sauce in a while. E makes a mean chunky sauce with orange zest and Grand Marnier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Raises her hand"....then "raises her other hand too".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! That was always a controversy at my Thanksgiving table. My mom eventually gave up and bought two cans. One that would be stirred and one with ridges for "slicing". Your tart looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that this tart was the best of the cranberry world. Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cranberry jellied stuff is a always a hit around here...as is the homemade, as is whatever else anyone wants to do with cranberries! Your tart looks lovely. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never liked canned cranberry sauce, no not even the chunky one...but this tart...now That would be good ouT oF a can..what..that's not right..tarts don't come out of cans...Happy Thanksgiving Cher ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this looks delicious! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very enticing and delish! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving, Cher! Your tart looks fantastic and we all know how great it tastes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would be easier if you asked 'who doesn't have a cranberry obsession' :P Happy Thanksgiving!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cranberry sauce, too....always make an extra jar to spoon on stuff post-holidays. your tart looks great, and happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've literally never had the ridged stuff except maybe in an elementary school cafeteria. And that was far too long ago to count. As I recall, there was a tiny paper cup containing a red jelled substance that appeared now and then. I might have to splurge on a can and see what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are BIG fans of the canned cranberry gelatinous goo!!! Your tart looks delicious Cher. I hope you have had a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Dorie may like cranberries a lot too. Beautiful tart, Cher. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful crackles in your tart! I think mine needed "one minute more".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect tart, Cher, looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yours turned out perfectly, Cher! I love cranberries, though I'm not a big fan of the cranberry sauce (jelly) at the holiday table. I'd rather save it for leftover turkey sandwiches. I know, I'm no fun. Hope your Thanksgiving was great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember those ridges well. Though I don't remember the last time I had it. Your tart looks like it is chock full of cranberries! Did you use more than the recipe called for? I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.