2014/11/21

Should have known better (French Fridays with Dorie: Storzapretis)

Ever have one of those weeks where the only reason you are running the dishwasher is because you are out of clean cereal bowls and wine glasses?

When you are having that kind of week, you should listen to the inner voice that tells you that the combination of mint and red sauce is not going to be a big hit with the peeps.

Should have known better...


I think we would have enjoyed these spinach and ricotta dumplings if I listened to my inner voice and traded the mint for one of the other suggestions. Ricotta, spinach? What's not to love there?
 
Thanks to this week's P's & Q's, we skirted around the whole dissolving dumpling dilemma by baking the dumplings straight from the freezer. It mostly worked. 
 
You win some, you lose some, Right?

Beyond that, I am at a loss for words.

In other news, it's snowed here at least five of the last seven days. Nothing major, just enough to remind me that winter is on its way (unlike our poor friend in the Western part of the state that have been getting bombarded all week). 

I just finished Daniel Silva's The Heist - a story of art world intrigue (stolen art, secret government organizations, etc. This one fell outside of my normal genre, but I enjoyed it.  Also recently finished was Katy Simpson Smith's The Story of Land and Sea: A Novel. This is the story of of a man, his daughter and his granddaughter and takes place on the Carolina coast during the Revolutionary War. I found it to be a little disjointed and somewhat depressing, but an okay read. Currently on the e-reader is Jodi Picoult's Leaving Time. I am only about ten pages in, but I expect this one to read, well...like a Jodi Picoult novel. 

Stay warm this weekend and if you are celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. 

Right now, I am thankful that the contractors are finally here to replace my roof :-) (Of course, I am thankful for many other things, but this one is pretty high on my list at the moment.)

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. One bloggers version of Storzapretis (i.e. Corsican spinach and mint gnocchi) can be found here.

19 comments:

  1. I made it with a mix of marjoram and mint and I was thinking how using the entire amount for either herb would've not been to my tastes. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and yay for the roof getting fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well. A for effort.

    I do not miss snow. Not one bit.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah I can't take too much mint so I totally understand - oh well, suppose it happens!
    LOL like a jodi picoult novel - they are so good but definitely can't read too many of them!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cher, I had the same concern with the mint, but chucked caution to the wind and used it - but I liked it, which surprised me. Ah well, next time - another herb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Bill would have liked it better if I used oregano or basil. I actually enjoyed it! I enjoy Jodi Picoult...always an easy fun read.
    Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving, Cher! I will be in Georgia and Florida with my son and his family! Colder than usual, but NO snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry that the snow is upon you. It's been cold here this week, but dry. Your dumplings look delicious. I opted for marjoram because I wasn't sure about mint with tomato, AND because I LOVE marjoram. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, my friend, under your new roof. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, goodness, you are all over the place with this week's Post but I could follow you with no problem. I plan to make this recipe in January after reading and re-reading everyone posts, tips, suggestions and try thises. The Mint and Red Sauce combo will not be a problem in my household - it's only Me I have to please. Was glad to hear mid-week that you didn't get the big deluge. But, doesn't it seem like you just said Bye, Bye to winter? I do feel your pain. At least when we get a Big Dump here, everyone is grateful because it just translates to $$$. Aspen Mountain is opening tomorrow, 5 days early. "The Heist" seems like my kind of book. And, the roof. Not a Life Threatening Problem but Important. I feel your pain about that one. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Joe and your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this recipe, I could go either way with the mint. If I make this again, I'll try your freezer to oven method. Saved time, right?
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry these weren't a hit at your house, but I'm glad it's getting a new roof before winter sets in completely. We're having torrential rains at the moment, but I'm hoping the clouds will have exhausted themselves enough that the rest of the weekend will be nice. Always great to hear what you're reading, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely trying the freezer to oven method next time. And the mint was a little odd but I only used a touch.... Next time I might go for more Italian-y flavours...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cher, I knew mint would not work for us and went with marjoram. Very good! If you liked the art heist story I suggest The Rescue Artist by Edward Dolnick. Its a true story of the search for The Scream. Excellent reading! As I've heard about all the snow in NY I've thought about you. Glad you're not too snowed in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went with the marjoram too and it was good. Good luck with the
    roof, and the snow, what can I say except it's only the beginning.
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mint wasn't an issue for us it was the taste of raw dough. I'm guess you must have read "The Gold Finch" but if you like books about stolen art it's a good one... nice and long for a snowy day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went with mint, but only used half the amount. It worked for us, but did have some trepidation. Stay warm and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cher, I traded the mint for fresh Italian parsley and basil - I just knew that we would not enjoy that, other than this little change we really enjoyed this recipe - your storzapretis look perfectly shaped and so very pretty all lined up on that tray.
    Do stay warm dear friend and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your entire family!
    Liebe Grüsse,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, get that roof finished before more snow comes. We will be celebrating Christmas in Chicago this year so I'm really hoping that it's not another siberian winter. But either way I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mint is one of the few ingredients that my husband refuses to eat so marjoram worked well in our house. If you could send some of that snow to California we would appreciate it:) I am so tired of the endless summer. It is going to be 79 for Thanksgiving, what season is it again? I just finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. A great read. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like tomorrow I might be stuck in the airport for a while, so I've bookmarked many of your recommendations. Our next leg of the trip will take us to Boston, so the weather woes will follow us. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL :) these are looking good either way. :) Love that reading list! Im taking your first suggestion and adding it to my reading list for next year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.