2014/12/17

"And mamma in her 'kerchief..." (Tuesdays with Dorie Baking with Julia: Chocolate Mint Nightcaps)


"Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St Nicholas soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads.
And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap."


(Poem credit: The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore)

Or something like that...



This week's Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia recipe took us down nightcap lane... (as in the kind people used to wear to bed, not the kind you drink.)

Guest contributor Marcel Desaulniers (aka The King of all things Chocolate) is the mastermind between this week's chocolate overload recipe.

Technically, this was not a difficult recipe - soft, cake like chocolate cookies surrounded a layer of mint infused ganache (I cheated and used mint extract) and are topped off with a "nightcap" of chocolate. While this was way too much chocolate in one serving for me, my chocolate lovers were pretty pleased with this one.

I only made a quarter of a batch (because the last thing I need hanging around the house this time of year is more cookies...), which made six sandwich cookies. (Another success to be noted in the logs of Operation Minify).

Closing thoughts:

1) This recipe easily halved or quartered (with some minor adjustments to the leavening and salt).
2) The ganache seemed a little too heavy for the relatively fragile cookie. (It was a bit of a challenge to pipe with my plastic piping bags - I wish I had pulled out the heavier duty pastry bag.)

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. You can see Marcel demonstrating his cookie making technique here.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I wish I had minified. Not a fan of these. Good call on using extract - I'm sure you obtained more of the mint flavor I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Operation Minify! I remembered your plan just as I was about to start this recipe, so I halved it. Quartering it didn't even occur to me... it's brilliant! As was your use of mint extract, you could probably even taste the mint flavor! Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.