2014/12/30

If at first you don't succeed... (Tuesdays with Dorie: Gingerbread Buche de Noel)

Try Try Again

by T. H. Palmer

'Tis a lesson you should heed,
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try again;

Then your courage should appear,
For if you will persevere,
You will conquer, never fear
Try, try again;

Once or twice, though you should fail,
If you would at last prevail,
Try, try again;

If we strive, 'tis no disgrace
Though we do not win the race;
What should you do in the case?
Try, try again

If you find your task is hard,
Time will bring you your reward,
Try, try again

All that other folks can do,
Why, with patience, should not you?
Only keep this rule in view:
Try, try again.



This week's Tuesday's with Dorie: Baking Chez Moi selection was certainly an exercise in perseverance.

It was not a technically challenging recipe per se; however, if one has a tendency to royally mess up chiffon type cakes (raises hands), then the challenge is there. (Especially if one has to make the cake portion of this recipe multiple times mere hours before the cake is expected at Christmas Dinner - oh, and the ingredient supply is running low and no stores are open because...it is Christmas).

Other than that minor utterly frustrating setback, no issues...

Eventually, I ended up with the desired result - a gingerbread cake with cream cheese filling, covered in marshmallow frosting and sprinkled with candied pecans. I tried to go more traditional in my buche stylings; however, the fluffy frosting caused the end result to look more like a lop-sided heart than something out of the woods...

I am still too annoyed with the cake to write positively about it (I did love the frosting and pralines - I am glad I doubled the recipe for them - and the cake did receive compliments at dinner) - it took me almost a week to work up enough goodwill to write about it.


At least I can hold my head high and say that I didn't give up on this one...

Peace out.

XOXO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for Dorie's gingerbread buche de Noel can be found here.

14 comments:

  1. LOL - Cher, full marks for persisting - I would have just called it a day and made do after the second go. Your cake does look like a heart, but it's pretty - I wondered how you did it, so I appreciated the process photo. Those pralines were good - I made sure there were some "leftovers" for me. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cher - you win all the points for perservering. I did wonder whether that was a heart at first - I have to say the marshmallow frosting was quite hard to work with so I think you did a good job there. AND you got compliments. Brava, my friend! Wishing you a fab 2015 and here's hoping our paths cross SOON! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. I definitely would have thrown in the towel. Sorry you had so much trouble with this one. I like the heart look :-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also totally flubbed the cake, but used all the eggs I had so I just went with it. IT was a little rubbery, but whateves. I like your "heart" shape. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful, Cher…glad you persevered! I make cake rolls quite often, but found this cake a bit difficult. It was the folding in of the butter! Mine came out ok…but I think it could have been spongier! But, it was delicious…loved the frosting! Happy New Year, my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! Chiffon cakes aren't my thing either. So hard with all that gentle folding!! Ugh. Great perseverance, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is so difficult to make! Persevere was my high school motto so top marks to you :D
    Your cake looks beautiful, the heart shape is so cute! Happy Holidays!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the heart shape! And the perseverance!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I'd been able to have another go at the cake layer. I am guilty of royally messing up these sorts of cakes, too. Yours looks beautiful, though, and I'm glad it got great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great, Cher! I wouldn't have known the heart wasn't on purpose if you hadn't said anything. ;) the pralines were really good, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a lot of problems with this one too. Not your everyday cake. It was fun to make once but I am not sure I will make again. Loved the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought about styling mine like a traditional yule log too, but I chickened out! I liked the flavors of this one and would like to try the cake part again (mine wasn't perfect either...).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you for persisting! And I love your idea of making a branch on the log!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the lopsided heart! and i admire your perseverance!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.