2014/12/19

It's Still Friday! (French Fridays with Dorie: Orange and Olive Salad)

I've been letting life drag me around lately - it has left me feeling kind of like a pet owner trying to walk a large, hyper dog that has been cooped up in the house all day.

All you can do is hold onto the leash and hope that you can keep up...

Today, I woke up early and decided that I was going to take charge of my pet (or whatever you want to call it) and exert some control (at least in my mind).

Put a dent in those reports that are due by year end. Check.

Start making Christmas treats. Check.

Finish writing out Christmas cards. Check.

Post my French Fridays post...


Oops...it would probably help if I made the recipe first.

Fortunately, this week's Orange and Olive salad is easy enough that even someone trying to keep up with life can fit this one into the schedule.

When I first read the title of this recipe - orange and olive salad - I was a little leery. Then I remembered that orange and lemon zest are often used in marinated olives. Once I made that connection, I was okay with the concept.

Since I was making this at the eleventh hour, I knew this salad had to be made with whatever I could pull out of a fridge dive - clementines and kalamata olives stood in for the recommended navel oranges and Nicoise olives. The onion never made it to the plate (soaked or not, I am not a fan of raw onions). A drizzle of a very fruity olive oil, some mixed peppercorns and flaky sea salt were all that was needed to turn these very simple ingredients into a late afternoon snack.

As an added bonus, my hands and the kitchen smelled like oranges :-)

Taking the time to buckle down and catch up to some of those nagging details had a pretty positive impact on my state of mind today.

And, it's 11:08. My post is complete. Another one checked off the list.  

Peace out.

XO

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

10 comments:

  1. The thing I liked best was that it was easily made with things in the house. The final combination, not so much. Hope your weekend is filled with making more progress on your check list as well as some good cheer. Merry Christmas, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it was an easy recipe. Merry Christmas to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said quite succinctly what many of us are thinking. Not that I've ever thought of Life quite that way before. But, the visual works very well. I salute you for attacking the day, your checklist, and assignments in typical get-down- to-business Cher-fashion. (BTW, what Christmas treats did you make? Just asking.) Glad this salad was simple and that we all could use whatever we had sitting around our kitchen. Soldier on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely feeling the weight of the season this year! That’s what I get for taking two weeks at Thanksgiving and shirking my Christmas duties! Good thing I work well under pressure!
    I was quite happy to see such an easy pick this week! I loved the salty-sweet taste of this salad! Glad you enjoyed this one too!
    Merry Christmas my friend! Wishing you and your family a blessed and happy holiday season! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it was so nice to have an easy dish. Also, Cher, I love how you describe the feeling this time of year. I mean, I don't love it because it's fun or funny: I love it because it perfectly captures how I've been feeling (and I imagine how many do). Glad you got it done and exerted some semblance of control over the craziness. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree as well, I miss simple dishes! These days, I am everywhere and always in the kitchen :P
    Glad you enjoyed this easier pick :)

    Happy Holidays!
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like raw onion either. This time of year forces us to do things at crazy times when we should be getting some shut eye. Merry Christmas Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't made the marinated olives connection, but that opens up for other possibilities. Very happy to see anyone can make time for this salad, at morning or night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kudos to you for making sans onions. Since I dislike olives I skipped this one. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so happy to see an easy recipe on the schedule for this week, too. I was so behind with everything (including Christmas cards) this year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.