2014/12/09

Or something like that... (Tuesdays with Dorie Baking Chez Moi: The Rugelach that Won over France)

This week, Tuesdays with Dorie recipe from Dorie Greenspan's latest book, Baking Chez Moi, takes us down the fussy cookie road.

Dorie's Rugelach dons this particular cookie as the "Rugelach that won over France"...or at least a few French flight attendants.


Given my love/ hate (mostly hate) relationship with cookie making, my eagerness to tackle this recipe wasn't exactly at an all-time high.

Fortunately, by the time I made this recipe, enough bakers had posted their trials and tribulations, resulting in a relatively painless cookie making experience. (Ensuring the dough was well chilled, rolling the dough out on a well floured Silpat mat and chopping the filling in the food processor).

I will probably never be able to claim Rugelach prowess, but I was pretty happy with the outcome. I skipped the shredded coconut (because, ewww), but kept the cherry/ chocolate/ nut combo. The butter/ cream cheese dough had an almost puff pastry-esque texture that was a pleasant surprise.

My taste testers weren't complaining either...


In other news, I am still on track with "Operation minify" - a half batch of dough, yielded 16 cookies. That gingerbread buche de noel may prove a challenge, but I have a quarter sheet pan and I am not afraid to use it...

Peace out.

XOXO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. Dorite's recipe for Rugelach can be found here.

16 comments:

  1. I made three different fillings but left the cherries of all of them! Despite my doubts, the coconut worked for me. Glad to see you overcame your cookie hate and gave them a try-they turned out nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad these didn't give you any trouble. I'm holding off until next weekend for mine, b/c they just seem like an appropriate thing to bring to my friend's hannukah party

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the bûche in a 1/4 sheet pan and it was fine. (1/2 the recipe of everything and you'll still have tons of marshmallow frosting leftover anyway!). You did great with these Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies look great! I had a few tasters who wished I had skipped the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rugelach look great Cher!
    I like this TWD baking group and all the useful baking tips on the recipes from the bakers...even makes baking fussy cookies a little easier ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coconut really is one of those divisive ingredients. I love the way this recipe's filling can be so easily changed. Looks like these turned out great. Can't wait to see the mini buche de noel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son agrees with your sentiments about coconut. I also scanned the discussion thread thoroughly before making. I did the traditional route of making a circle. I think the directions of these cookies were a little fussy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really look delicious Cher. Mine were a complete mess but so
    delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, the P&Q was a lifesaver this week. I also skipped the coconut but added some walnuts. And everything for the filling went into the food processor. I am failing operation minify... only 1 out of 3 so far!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom was a fabulous baker, and yet she hated to make cookies! Your post reminded me of her! Glad these were a success for you! They look perfectly lovely!
    The P&Qs helped me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I tried to make this, the filling would be all over the shop :P
    Beautiful rugelach!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved that there was chocolate in the recipe too! Good for you for reading all the comments of previous bakers -- that's dedication to a recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I kept the coconut and ditched the chocolate (ewwww), lol. Yours look great, cookie making/baking could be your new thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to have to try these (sans coconut -- I agree, ewww!) Yours look quite elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad your rugelach tuned out well. I have a party to take the Buche to, though the number of steps terrifies me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are going to freak out when you get my Christmas card and cookie recipe if you hate coconut!! Oh well.

    I am impressed that you made these. I didn't even blink as they went by (my traveling for work ends this week, whew!) and didn't catch the BCM recipes for December. Oh well. Maybe I can try some for Christmas!! They look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.