2014/12/12

These Things (French Fridays with Dorie: Lamb & Dried Apricot Tagine(

These things I know to be true:

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

An object in motion will stay in motion unless an opposite force comes into play.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

The older I get, the more aware I am of gravitational forces.

Snow + rain = bear to clean up. 

A bag of Jelly Belly jelly beans is not safe in my house.

Lamb on my dinner table will not get eaten.

 



Needless to say, I went a little rogue on this one...

Lamb was traded out for pork shoulder.

The oven was traded out for a slow cooker. (Meat and aromatics were browned on the stove top before going into the cooker).

Other than that, I kind of sort of followed the recipe. 

Surprisingly, The Dude went back for seconds and thirds (although the leftovers are still sitting in the refrigerator) - so I am not sure if he liked it or was just really hungry.

This particular flavor pairing didn't blow my socks off, but I liked the concept of this dish and would play around with it again in the future to adjust the flavors more to taste (more dried peppers, perhaps?). Since I changed this dish up a bit, I take full credit for my ambivalence - I am not blaming the recipe. (It's not you, it's me - except, this time I really mean it...)

The rice pilaf didn't make it to the leftover stage :-)

Peace out.

XOXO

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. The recipe for Lamb and Dried Apricot Tagine can be found here.

15 comments:

  1. Bill actually liked the lamb, but it was the "exotic" sauce that he complained about :/ Good idea to sub with pork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interested to see how this worked with pork - sounds like I need to try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, once again, I just totally dig those dishes. Business on the plate before the food even gets piled onto it. Yep, this was not a recipe for folks who can't handle lamb. I had always thought this flavoring and spice combination worked only with lamb but I can see that it's pretty tasty with pork also. I can see a hungry man going back for a second helping but, for thirds, it had to mean that he liked it. Sending good and caring thoughts to Joe, especially, and you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We weren't huge fans of the dish either, and felt much the same way: it's not the recipe, it's us. Eh, it looks like you gave it a good go! Also, I love that plate! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, my thoughts are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slow Cooker was my route too with beef instead of lamb. Glad it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also tend to judge a recipe by how quickly the leftovers get eaten. Luckily, we love lamp and my husband loves stew, so this one did not linger long in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering how this one worked in the slow cooker. And using pork also sounds like a good twist. It's good you know your family and changed it to something they would enjoy. Hope you weren't too battered by the week's storms, in both weather and life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More dried chiles are definitely required the next time I make this one... I love the idea of using more budget friendly pork or even chicken thighs with this sauce. I think the Dude must have liked it... if E's not crazy about the dish, he won't go for thirds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We both love lamb, so I am looking forward to making this dish. That said…I’m usually not fond of Moroccan spices…I will let you know next week! I’m sure pork was a delicious substitute.
    I did love the Red Kuri squash soup that I made instead…it was luscious!
    I planned on making the tagine today but when I went to use my “Tagine” …I realized it needed to be soaked for 24 hours…bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the slow cooker idea! I will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kind of sort of followed the recipe, that is funny. Sounds like you need a good pulled pork sandwich. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL - must remember about the jelly beans. I adored this, even with lamb, though pork shoulder is a good sub if lamb doesn't float your boat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm trying this one over the weekend if all goes well. Think I will go the slow cooker route too! From the comments I gather something is going on at your house. I will be hoping all gets back to normal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when things don't come to the leftover stage, always a good sign haha
    Your dish looks really succulent! :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.