2015/01/25

French Fridays with Dorie: Spice Crusted Tuna...er Salmon

Once upon a time there was this great big tuna.

This tuna was SO BIG (and that's not even a fish tale), that it took over a year to eat our way through it (and that included giving may pounds of it away).

After that, tuna was on the list of Things That Someone Is Not Interested In Having For Dinner...

Salmon anyone?




Peppercorns were crushed and pressed into the fish before cooking. I wasn't sure how the crushed pepper was going to work with salmon filets, but it worked. All these really needed was a short fry in a non-stick skillet with a little bit of oil. We had the salmon with some broccoli (yes, I grabbed it out of the freezer).

It was a perfectly easy and simple weeknight dinner.

Simple and easy is exactly what I need in my life right now now that I am back in professional certification classes again... Now that I am back to writing papers every week for school, all forms of writing - even post writing - are kind of stressing me out. I spend most of my work days trying to make my writing as succinct as possible. Writing papers for professors is the total opposite - they want me to take three pages to express something that I would normally write in three paragraphs.

I haven't had too much time to turn pages (unless that reading has to do with international trade), but here are a few recent reads:

On His Own Terms: A Life of Nelson Rockefeller by Richard Norton Smith - good read, but I just couldn't get through all 800 pages.

The Life Intended by Kristin Harmel - this one was a bit of a tear jerker, but a good read.

The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo - I read this one twice. Some of it is a little over the top, but this book has come into my life at just the right time (i.e. pre-moving). It shifted my paradigm regarding the guilt of giving away things that still have usefulness. Bags of stuff have been flying out the house...

Winter Street by Elin Hildenbrand - light reading for a cold weekend.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

9 comments:

  1. So, you're going to school, holding down a job, getting ready to move, able to spend some time reading and still can cook and blog about it. How does that work? Once you have gotten rid of bags and bags of still useful-items, your load will seem lighter (in a very good way). Good luck on all that including the "lighter load". Glad to know the spices work with Salmon. It does look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Cher, sorry to hear life is so hectic. Sounds like someone caught a really big tuna fish. We love salmon in our house and it is our preferred fish. I am having fun catching up with all the missed recipes. Sending peace your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher you are a champion - and how come I didn't realise you went back to school?? What are you studying? I hope that cooking and blogging won't stress you out too much - I would miss your posts! Onwards to #nofish this week! (that recipe takes no time at all in case you haven't made it yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, you are one busy lady! Blogging has really cut into my reading, but thanks for the recommendations. I OD'd the family on asparagus once and had to take a hiatus from it for a few months! Salmon was a terrific substitution :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree re the Magic of Tidying. Some parts of it just seem ridiculous (at least for my life), but it has helped me get rid of things with less guilt and I'm feeling great about all of the extra space in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've got a lot going on. Make sure to take care of yourself. I've been excited to know that the spice crust works well on all kinds of fish. I liked the coating, but don't really love cooked tuna. I've been fascinated by the Magic of Tidying Up, but haven't broken down and ordered it yet. I'm afraid that I'll feel guilty about all the things that I don't want to get rid of. Stay safe during the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure have lots on your plate, including that lovely spice crusted salmon! Amazing results!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure have a lot going on right now! I don't think I could ever go back to writing papers...(although I was a math major so I didn't have to write too many). I will have to check out the tidying up book - that is something I have been trying to do (unsuccessfully) for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your papers! Sounds like you have a lot going on right now. Don't you sometimes wish as adults we could have summer vacations, and all those school breaks so we could catch up on the fun things in life.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.