2015/01/06

That's all I have to say about that. (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Inside-Out, Upside-Down Tirami Sù)

"I have no problem taking something apart...it's the putting it back together that gets me." - Cher-ism

This week, Baking with Julia takes us down the road of deconstructionism - where something known is taken apart and put together in a new way.

In this instance, tirami su and all of its espresso laden-ladyfinger-mascarpone cream glory is taken apart and turned into something new.


The espresso drenched ladyfingers are replaced with crispy, baked phyllo pillows and served with a topping of espresso granita.

The traditional mascarpone filling has been pushed aside for a sabayon that has been lightened with whipped cream and some mascarpone for good measure.


It was an interesting take on a classic recipe, but not one that I would probably replicate in the future. Ultimately, there were just too many textures happening here and they didn't feel like they went together.

It's not you, it's me.

Okay - maybe in this case...it is you. Or maybe it was the Sudafed. Either way, I've moved on.

You can't win them all.

XOXO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. If my lack of enthusiasm didn't totally scare you off, you can find the recipe for this re-constructed version of tiramisu here.

5 comments:

  1. Thank goodness the book doesn't have any molecular recipes =) At least I hope not. You are a better woman than I am for giving this a try! I love reading both your happy and not so happy adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this version takes more effort compared with regular tiramisu, but tastes inferior, relatively speaking. Maybe its better to again deconstruct this deconstructed recipe, and use the individual components to make three separate desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks pretty though! my favorite part of this one was the sabayon (which i did sneak some booze into).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ended up liking this more than I thought I would; and I so was not in the mood for making this. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.