2015/01/30

When I grow up (French Fridays with Dorie: Croquants)

I don't know about you, but I still have not figured out who I want to be when I grow up.

I know that it is expected that at a certain point in one's life, this should already be figured out.

What is that age?

25? 30? 40?

Maybe it's somewhere beyond that, because I know at the age of 41 I sure don't have it all figured out.



I started out thinking that I had it all figured out. At the wise, old age of 17, I knew EXACTLY what I was going to do with my life. How I was going to live. Who I was going to spend it with. Oh, I knew I didn't have all the answers; but I was pretty darned sure about those pieces of it.

Then life happened. I took stock. Changed direction. And then life happened some more. Changed direction again.

By the time I was in my 20's, I realized I knew a little less than I thought I did.

By the time I hit my 30's, I realized that I knew more than I did then but still had a lot to learn.

40? I knew what I knew and I knew that I didn't know what I don't know.

Today, I realize that I don't know what I do know (or can't remember that I know...or something like that).

One thing I do know... is that I am generally okay with all of that.

Life doesn't have to be laid out in perfect grid pattern (but if anyone has that figured out, please let me know).

Some days will go the way I had planned them. Others, not so much.

People will come and go.

Some days will be happy. Some days will be sad.

At times, I am a mother. Other times, I am a daughter. Employee. Pain in the a##. Whoever I am at that moment is who I am. I don't have to have it figured out. I don't have to choose. I just have to be me...whoever that is.

I am sure it sounds more zen than it actually is. Zen is one thing that I am not... In reality, it's chaotic and messy and a little bit unnerving; but that's okay.



Speaking of something that doesn't know what it is supposed to be...this week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe, croquants, seemed to have a little bit of an identity crisis of its own going on.

Half cookie, half meringue - this simple mixture of nuts, sugar, egg whites and just a little bit of flour was probably one of the easiest cookies (if you want to call it that) that I have ever made. Stir. Drop. Bake.

I just don't even know how to classify the end result - other than delicious.

My take-away from this week's episode: If I were a cookie, I would be a croquant.

Peace out.

XO

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.The recipe for croquants can be found here - I do urge you to give them a try. Start to finish, these barely took me a half hour - the hardest part was waiting for them to cool down...

20 comments:

  1. I'm at the forgetful stage...LOL. Glad you enjoyed these! Maybe pistachios was the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at the forgetful stage...LOL. Glad you enjoyed these! Maybe pistachios was the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do seem to have a bit of an identity crisis, for sure! Happy Friday Cher! (PS: we love you the way you are!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that! If I were a cookie, I definitely be something with white chocolate because that's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be a croquant, too! I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice, Cher! Glad you liked the "cookies." They're one of my favorites. I did love reading this post as it rings true for a lot of us. Maybe it's because we're close in age, but as someone who's super goal-oriented, it's tough when I look around and realize I'm just supposed to be living and enjoying the now. Geez, this is sounding like some sort of psych session instead of a blog comment about cooking. :) Anyway, who wouldn't want to be a croquant?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your honest post, you made me laugh out loud. I have to make these cookies they look so delicoius.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m with Liz! You know that quote,"the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray”. It says so much!
    Your Croquants look lovely! These were really good and enjoyed by all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely!!

    I'm 44 with kids who are growing up faster than I care to admit. I have no idea what's in store for me in my "second life", as they approach college and I get a small glimpse of some "free time". Right now free time means sleep. LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the spatula, somebody cool must have given it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea what to do when I grow up, either! So many choices, so little time. But at least while you're figuring it out you made some neat croquants!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As probably the oldest of this group, I am still looking forward and trying to figure out what to do when I get "old". There is too much to do yet.
    By the way, your cookies look great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always presented to the world plans, goals etc... just so I wouldn't be bothered, but really I've never had a clue. I've always have just been looking for the next party: where the food is good and the conversation is interesting... thats what keeps me going, glad you found your cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got a decade on you and I never figured out what to be when I grow up. I finally figured out to just enjoy the ride, steering when necessary. These croquants definitely have an identity crisis going on, but it seems to work out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think a croquant is a bad cookie to be at all. And I think if you've reached your destination, there's nothing left to do, so I'm all in favour of not knowing what you want to be when you grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love this post! I don't know what I want to be or do most days. :) But these are delicious cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Cher, absolutely wonderful post to read on a Sunday evening - I certainly envy you for your writing skills, I always do - but at the same time it is just a great feeling coming here for a visit, knowing that I will really enjoy reading through your post! And your "identity crisis croquants" look wonderful with all those pistachios (love those nuts).
    Hope your girls are doing well in college and that you and all of your family is doing well!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it is good to be a cookie and crunchy at any age:) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm I'm allowed to not know what I want to be when I grow up but I guess unless you find the perfect job, you can always keep questioning it?
    Haha I love that you describe this cookie as having an identity crisis :P

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cher, when I watch my oldest son and his wife raising their family it takes me back to how I thought I knew so much. Raising kids makes you realize that life lives you very often. Remember that line from Coal Miner's Daughter? Patsy Cline tells (I just had to google the name of the Coal Miner's Daughter!!!) Loretta Lynn she's letting her life live her. That happens to me and I have to stop and evaluate who I am and what I'm doing. Maybe it sounds Zen but then it doesn't seem like it is because its chaotic but it actually is quite Zen:) Oh. The cookies look good!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.