2015/02/12

I am not alone (Tuesdays with Dorie Baking Chez Moi: Marquise au Chocolat)

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

I am not in love with chocolate.

I have been wondering if I am the only one out there, but Google tells me otherwise. If that wasn't enough to convince me, the fact that Bon Appetit published a whole post on desserts for chocolate haters tells me that I am not alone.

I. Am. Not. Alone.


Now, I don't "hate" chocolate.

Chocolate has it's rightful place covering a strawberry, in a chocolate chip cookie, as a layer cake (surrounded by peanut butter frosting), paired with hazelnuts, as a vehicle for marshmallows. A fudgy brownie with a streak of caramel running through it. A single piece of really good dark chocolate. In Mardi's chocolate coeur à la crème (I am a total sucker for chocolate as part of a cream cheese heart!).

See, I can be generous like that.

But overly chocolately chocolate items are likely to passed along - much to the chagrin of my household. (And yes, I have had "good" chocolate before, not just the crappy mass produced kind. Heck, I even have a cupboard filled with the stuff for baking.)

I know that my feelings place me on the unpopular side of the chocolate equation.

While I may have been somewhat ambivalent about this week's Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking Chez Moi selection, the chocolate lovers in my house were not.

This frozen mousse like concoction of egg yolks, sugar, dark chocolate and heavy cream was an absolute hit with them - I was asked to make this weekly. Well, then.

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. Other blogged interpretations of this dessert can be found here.The recipe for Marquise au Chocolat can be found here.

9 comments:

  1. "Not in love with chocolate"? LOL! Seriously, I had no idea there was such a thing. You have expanded my world yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cher I hope we can still be friends despite our differences ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. This was pretty good - to us chocolate loving folk. And it's OK that you don't care for chocolate. I'm sure no one will judge you... well, they shouldn't anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a few people who are ambivalent about chocolate. Your marquise looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the marbled effect - so pretty! Quite a few in my family are not big fans chocolate - I love baking for them because it's an excuse to break out a fruity dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes--this is a chocolate lover's dream! I'm sure they were psyched to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I think about it, I probably should have sent a slab of this back to school with my chocolate-fiend college student kid who was home for the weekend and happily devoured a slice of the marquise on Valentine's Day. (OTOH, I will just have to find something else to do with the leftovers -- something involving me, a plate, and a fork.) You have a very pretty presentation there -- the color contrasts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know intellectually that there are people like you (my mom is actually one of them), but it's so hard for me to understand. I love chocolate, and I loved this dessert. Luckily, there are so many delicious non-chocolate desserts out there that everyone can definitely be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely a dessert for chocolate lovers!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.