2015/02/24

If you are offering... (Tuesdays with Dorie Baking Chez Moi: Pink Grapefruit Tart)

Grapefruit is one of those citrus that people seem to have a love/ hate relationship with.

It evokes some pretty strong feelings.

It is evident by the way that a persons face either lights up or turns into a scowl when the word "grapefruit" pops into a conversation.

 
Personally, I am on Team Grapefruit and have been on it from a very young age. Seriously...

My dad would often pick up whole grapefruit that we would cut in half and section out with a spoon (sometimes with a spoonful of sugar on top, sometimes without). And there was nothing I liked better in the morning than a glass of cold grapefruit juice (hold the pulp please).

My grapefruit need was so strong, that one summer when I was out of the country for almost a month on a trip, I had to pack juice boxes of grapefruit juice - one for each day that I would be gone. This was before all that TSA screening stuff... I rationed those babies right to the very end.


Needless to say, I was on board with the concept of this week's Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking Chez Moi recipe. (Side note: I always seem to type Chex Moi instead of Chez Moi - maybe the universe wants me to eat more breakfast.).

On paper, this recipe looked like it was going to be a pain in the butt - sweet tart (pastry) dough, almond cream, a grapefruit crémeux (whatever that is) and supremed citruses. Fortunately, none of these components was particularly challenging - although, I did seem to dirty up every small appliance in my kitchen.

The base of sweet tart dough is one of my favorite doughs to work with and I have used this recipe several times over the years. It is easily made in the food processor (Appliance #1) and best of all, it is forgiving. Even when you slightly overbake it...

The almond cream is where we meet up with Appliance #2 (stand mixer). This is one of those easy mixtures of butter, brown sugar, almond flour (mine still had skins on) and orange zest that is whipped to a frenzy until light and airy. After a short chill, the almond cream was spread onto the baked tart shell and baked until set.

Now, the "Pièce de résistance" of this dessert was the grapefruit crémeux. I didn't know that I needed grapefruit crémeux in my life, but I now know better. I don't even know how to explain this silky concoction of grapefruit juice & zest, sugar, eggs; gelatin and butter (with a little Cointreau thrown in at the end for good measure). Essentially, the juice, zest, sugar and eggs are cooked to 180F (low temperature - no one wants scrambled eggs in their crémeux, okay?) and then thrown into the blender (Appliance #3) with some bloomed gelatin and butter - lots and lots of butter. Since I was using my Vitamix, I didn't bother straining the zest or any potential egg clumps out of the mix. After a long chill in a snow bank, I had this bowl of creamy deliciousness that I would have preferred to eat by the spoonful. Tart? What tart?

The final component to this dessert was a layer of supremed grapefruit segments. Now, as much as I love grapefruit, I dislike supreme-ing citrus with the same passion. I am sure (not) that there is someone who enjoys the task of cutting citrus segments out of the fruit. I am not that person. Fortunately, grapefruit have big, fat segments - so my torture was limited.

Once all the components were made, final assembly took about...one minute. (Spread the crémeux on the base and top with the segmented and drained citrus).

That wasn't so bad, was it? (As long as no one is counting the sink full of dishes that was left behind).


The end result? This one was a winner. I would totally make again - as long as someone else is supreme-ing the citrus.

Peace out.

XOXO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie.

22 comments:

  1. This one was complicated, but so worth the effort. Your tart looks devine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE grapefruit. Hate it, hate it, hate it! Needless to say, I'm not making this tart. Glad you liked it, though, you grapefruit loving weirdo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not on Team Grapefruit so I sat this one out. However, your tart looks lovely. And, I love supreme-ing citrus. Color me reactionary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this dessert - your's looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tart is so pretty in the square tart pan! I'm definitely on Team Grapefruit but even my tasters who aren't loved this tart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely on Team Grapefruit. I often eat them as snacks (sliced and sectioned with a spoon, just like when you (and I) were little. I used the Campari but Cointreau is a way superior choice. I'll definitely do that next time. Assuming that I can get past the hours of waiting here and there to actually do it again....

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grapefruits were too small - none of those big fat segments you refer to, so my torture did me in and I went to plan B. No kidding about all the appliances. At least you didn't end up with hardened caramel all over everything ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree -- so many appliances, so many dishes...but that cremeux...so good! (Your tart looks delish!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on Team Grapefruit. Unfortunately, Grapefruit and Lipitor (You aren't there yet, Cher) are a no-no. This week-end daughter Melissa was here and spotted a container of grapefruit juice at the back of my fridge (well-hidden). "Mom, are you not taking Lipitor anymore." When I said that I still was taking it, she went off, saying I could die. Actually I am glad she cares. Anyway I had to pour good grapefruit juice down the drain and will not be able to ever eat this tart. Which makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Mary on the grapefruit problem. Your tart looks fantastic Cher,
    and I agree, lot of dishes and appliances, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Team Grapefruit for sure here. I think next time I should make the grapefruit filling all by itself just to serve in a little parfait glass...oh my was that delicious! Your square tart is so beautiful. Fun to see different shapes and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the square tart. I used just as many appliances. I felt like it took just as long to clean up as it did to make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks wonderful Cher! I'm with you on the cutting the citrus out the skin. So glad to know that this is good since I had to skip this week's bake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that this was a winner - though it was a lot of steps...

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my gosh--my sink was like, overflowing with dishes/pots/appliances! looks great, and I'm happy to do your segmenting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate supreme-ing citrus too. I always try to trick Paul into doing it, but I'm rarely successful. I'm with you. This tart was great, but all I really need is the cremeux and a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't mind supreming, but with Bill not being a fan of grapefruit (of course), I couldn't justify making this. I would like a slice of yours, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am with you on the LOVE grapefruit team. This was a lot of work, but so worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you have my grapefruit loving husband beat on team grapefruit. We do love Trader Joe's grapefruit juice. You are right about the appliances, thanks for counting:) We loved this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore grapefruit, best juice hands down :D Delicious!
    This tart would have been awesome!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't made this one yet but my grapefruit are sitting on the counter waiting for me. I love grapefruit too but the whole pieces on top turns me off. I'm not sure why..... Yours looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! Can you really chill this in a snow bank? Foreign concept to us desert folks. I also hate suprem-ing citrus-glad I'm not alone in this. I love the square design of the tart.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.