2015/02/12

Snow Optional (French Fridays with Dorie: Winter Ceviche)

"Well, it's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, Minnesota, my hometown, out there on the edge of the prairie." Not. (In case you aren't familiar, that is Garrison Keller's opening line from the monologue on A Prairie Home Companion.)

I may not live on the edge of Lake Wobegon. I may not live on the edge of the prairie in Minnesota. But I definitely feel like I am living in the frozen north.

I know, I know, people south of the Mason-Dixon line probably consider Upstate NY to BE the frozen north; but there are colder places (heck, there is a whole country north of NY...). Although there are colder places to live, these past few weeks have made me wonder how much colder they can actually be... The three or so foot of snow doesn't help that (Although, I am very grateful that we haven't received Eastern Massachusetts proportions of snow. Three + feet is bad enough; I think six feet would make me cry. At least it's pretty to look at.)


Last week at work, we had a group of people fly in from some of our affiliates located across the globe (most of them located closer to the equator than Upstate NY), right into the middle of our 15"-18" snowstorm. For some of them, it was their first experience with snow (and sub-zero - fahrenheit -temperatures). They were impressed with our survival skills.

While warm bowls of soup served along side crusty hunks of bread and creamy, cheesy or saucy foods are the first foods that often come to mind this time of year, every once in a while I crave something different.

Something that reminds me that winter is only a season. And in a few (several) short (although seemingly long) months, the snow will be a memory and lawnmowers will replace snow blowers. Rakes will replace shovels. And the sun will be less of a stranger.


This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe served the purpose of reminding me that warmer days are coming - both ingredients and preparation method. Instead of standing over the warm stove and cooking the scallops, the scallops were "cooked" in an acidic marinade of lime, orange and mango juices. Halved grapes were given the same treatment. The scallops and grapes were served together with a healthy dose of thyme (no tarragon to be found), a sprinkling of shallots and a drizzle of olive oil. Snow back drop optional.

I was a little worried about what the eaters would think of this one, so I made three small portions and served them as a pre-Super Bowl dinner appetizer. I was fairly surprised when they came back for seconds. I did not see that one coming...

I know I am running a little (a lot) late this week. It was the last week of class and a final paper and exam were due - between that and an unexpected trip to NYC, life just happened. I don't know how I did all of this stuff in my twenties... Just saying.

Stay warm, y'all!

Peace out.

XOXO

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

2 comments:

  1. I found myself wondering what made this ceviche "wintery," but I like your take on it. It definitely was a delightful reminder of warm weather to come (hopefully soon!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of your three small portions - very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.