2015/02/02

Sometimes, the right words don't exist (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Salsa Quitza)






It can be difficult to find the right words to explain things at times.

Especially when you are trying to hedge your way around (i.e. avoiding) saying exactly what it is you want to say. 



This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe brought me to that place.

The salsa quitza consisted of a yeasted dough (made with refried beans), placed into a springform pan and filled with cream cheese, salsa (two cups) and cheddar. The mixture was baked until dark (which was hard to tell because the dough was already brown).

The end result had decent enough flavors, but it had some issues. Mainly the two cups of salsa that were stuffed into a pile of dough inside of a 12" springform pan. The laws of volume came into play here - in a big way... (Just imagine what happens to two cups of salsa when you cut into the quiche pie.)

I served this along side cheater's "paella" (I cooked my rice in the rice cooker and cooked the seafood & sausage mixture separate) and the bready edges (of which there were a lot) went pretty well dipped in the "paella" sauce.

I am still scratching my head over this one and just can't find the right words to explain it all.

I'll stop while I'm behind.



This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for salsa quitza can be found here.

11 comments:

  1. What a weird concept. Hm. I mean, I'd eat it if it were in front of me (duh), but don't think I'd ever stop and say, "A-ha! I must make this!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I had planned on making this and ran out of time…maybe it was a good thing haha! It did seem like a weird concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, this was one weird recipe, wasn't it? The salsa amount was just bizarre. Maybe it should have called for VERY chunky, well drained salsa, but still 2 cups would be too much. A bizarre recipe all around. We did it, what else can we say???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad I didn't miss much this week! Sounds a little like an over-deep deep-dish pizza-ish thing. The picture looks good. Maybe I'll still give it a try another time. Yeah, that's it. Another time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really looks good! It was a bit of a challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. flu 1-baker 0. I am planning to give this a go when I rejoin the living. Seeing your results with a 12" pan make me think that perhaps I will make half the dough or turn a full batch into a half-sheet sized focaccia like bread-without the cream cheese. Either way, it is something to ponder post-flu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a weird one! I When I read the recipe and it said "best eaten the same day" I knew I had to skip it. You ARE a trooper my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally with you on this one. I thought it was maybe just me. Thank goodness for the baking group!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what is it you are trying to avoid saying-- that you thought this was terrible? :)
    thanks completely to your p&q advice to reduce the filling, mine came out pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL - I can imagine what happens to those 2 cups of salsa when you cut in. I think I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds interesting, though I don't think I would be trying it :P

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.