2015/03/10

Making up is hard to do... (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Crème Bruleed Chocolate Bundt & Not Your Usual Lemon Meringue Pie)

Rabbit holes.

They have taken over my life.

I totally understand how Alice fell down the hole.

The rabbit runs out. Alice chases it. She falls down the hole.

Whatever happens next - well, no one would believe it, right?



One of the things I have enjoyed about baking from both Baking with Julia is the "rediscovery" of desserts and baked goods of a decade past.

When Baking with Julia was produced and written in the early-mid nineties, I was busy changing diapers and thought that adding eggs and oil to a boxed mix was a pretty huge accomplishment. Heck, in those days, getting anything on the table while chasing down two babies WAS a major accomplishment.

Surrounded by Teletubbies and Winnie the Pooh, I was totally insulated from the world of fancy desserts with unusual construction. Creme brulee and deconstructed were certainly not popping up in my world.

The last couple of Baking with Julia recipes transported me to that lost decade.

The creme bruleed chocolate bundt - a chiffon like chocolate bundt cake with an explosion of creme brulee coming out of the center of the bundt. It was intended that the filling is caramelized right before serving. By the time I served this one, it was late enough that I had no desire to pull out the torch. A handful of raspberries and no one was the wiser...


The second nineties-retro dessert was a deconstructed version of lemon meringue pie. Let me preface this by saying that LMP is one of my all time favorite desserts. My Grandma used to make the best LMP. Ever. I was excited to give this one a shot.

And then I read the recipe. Phyllo dough disks? Lemon curd? Brown sugar meringue?

This was not Grandma's pie. 

Fortunately, it was delicious (if somewhat awkward to eat). Too bad it ended up looking more like eggs Benedict than lemon pie...

My take-away from this recipe was the lemon curd - this was one of the best curds I think I have made to date.


And there you have it - a few weeks late and a dollar short...

Peace out.

XO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for Mary Bergin's Creme Bruleed Chocolate Bundt can be found here. The recipe for Gale Gand's "Not Your Usual" Lemon Meringue Pie can be found here.

3 comments:

  1. So jealous about how thick your creme brulee sauce turned out! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon curd, so I'm very excited to try this one. The deconstructed lemon meringue pie sounds intriguing (even if it does look more like eggs Benedict!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "not eggs benedict"---hahahaha! yeah, these 1990s desserts seem a little goofy now, but at least most of them still taste good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.