2015/03/27

Why didn't I think of that (Tuesdays with Dorie Baking Chez Moi: Crispy-Topped Brown Sugar Bars)

Do you ever come across an idea and wish that you had been the one to think of it?

I totally get why Romy and Michele claimed the whole Post-It(R) note thing. Those things are genius, who would not want to claim credit for that?

Well, I kind of feel the same way about caramelized Rice Krispies(R).

 
Rice Krispies(R) have always been my downfall. I could eat those things by the gallon full. (Kidding, not kidding).
 
Rice Krispies(R) treats? Please don't leave me alone with a plate of them. It doesn't end well.
 
Now, Dorie Greenspan has added another downfall to my arsenal - caramelized Rice Krispies(R). Did you know that you can heat up sugar and water, caramelize it and then toss in these little bits of cereal? Do you also know how stinking addictive the end product is? (I had to make a second batch because the first one was demolished by the rest of the house).
 
Placing those crispy treats on top of a brown sugar shortbread crust that had been slathered with chocolate (I used one from the stash that I brought from from a tour of Mast Brothers) doesn't hurt either.
 
I made these for a dinner party along with some turtle brownies. The shortbread bars were the hands down winner - not even brownies with caramel on them could compete.
 
Enough said.

 
This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. If you want the recipe - which I know you do - it can be found on page 324 of Dorie Greenspan's book Baking Chez Moi.

9 comments:

  1. Yours are beautiful Cher! Love the colour on that caramelization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm these sound dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Absolutely agree the caramelized Rice Krispies are sooooo addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the topping was crazy good. Ended up polishing the rest off in no time - I was hoping to have some ice cream to go with it, but oh well... Your bars look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made these today and they sure are good! I ate more than my share of the caramelized rice krispies before even starting on the rest of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were wonderful..weren’t they! Bill has been dieting so I let him have one with his coffee, and froze the rest! I know I will be making these again! Yours look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caremlised rice krispies are good - but turtle brownies - now that's what I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Dominating turtle brownies is very high praise. I agree. Caramelized rice krispies is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree these were addictive. And you know my son loves the original version better too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.