2015/04/28

Keeping it short (Tuesdays with Dorie Baking Chez Moi: Coconut Tapioca)


I was pretty intrigued by the idea of a tapioca pudding cooked in coconut milk.

I was a little scared at first - before I read the recipe and visions of shredded coconut were running through my head; but when I finally read the ingredient list and realized that no shreds were forthcoming, I was pretty psyched.


Dorie's recipe calls for an overnight soak of large pearl tapioca, followed by cooking in a mixture of coconut milk, milk and sugar. Since I am in cleaning out the cupboards mode, I opted to make this with regular sized tapioca (which meant only a 30 minute soak was needed - which also shortened the time to gratification). This was a quick, relatively simple dish to make. I paired it with mango and pineapple (from the freezer) that had been slow roasted in brown sugar, rum and some spices.

After a day of painting over rooms, it was nice to have this as a late afternoon pick me up.

I think the important factor in making this recipe was following the soaking directions on the recipe - now, I am generally not one to follow directions; but I have figured out that there are sometimes when it doesn't hurt to pay attention... I have a feeling that if I had let these soak overnight, I would have been less thrilled with the results. 

Was this recipe a keeper? For me, yes; I like tapioca. 

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie.

12 comments:

  1. I actually thought this was better just now (the day after), which surprised me. I had to use Minute tapioca, which I wasn't thrilled about not being able to follow the recipe, but it turned out pretty good--with my added chocolate. ;) Glad yours was a success and shredded coconut-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy with the mango and pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I think that the small pearl doesn't need overnight soaking but what would I know? I don't think I will be making this again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so pretty in your lovely glass. The roasted fruit sounds like a fantastic topping for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet this was great with the pineapple and mango.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it Cher! It just didn't work for us. Wish you hadn't mentioned painting , though. We need to do that. But I don't want to:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice touch with the mango! How could it not taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great with fruit, a little more deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this too, even though my previous tapioca experience was limited to canned tapioca (which is gross).

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe is not a keeper for me. I will make tapioca again as I have a big bag of it but will try another recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.