2015/04/14

Something special (Tuesdays with Dorie: Limoncello Cupcakes)

Cupcakes.

People seem to either love them or hate them.

Like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones.

As long as it tastes good and isn't part of a cupcake cake, I am okay with them.


They aren't something I make very often, as I am more of a cake person; but if I am going to go through the trouble of pulling out the pans and liners and scooping out 12 equal portions, they had better be something special.
 
Fortunately, Dorie's limoncello cupcakes are effort-worthy (They were also worthy of my last two inches of limoncello.)
 
The family was thrilled with these lemony cakes that were filled with just a hint of orange marmalade. The limoncello simple syrup kept these cakes nice and moist and the limoncello butter cream was the perfect accent. Oh, and Dorie was totally right about the slight crust on the frosting being the best part.  
 
Lemon is one of my favorite dessert flavors, so I was anxious to see if the lemon flavor came out (it did). While I enjoyed the orange marmalade inside, I think I would try a dab of lemon curd next time. Just because.

 
P.S. This Tuesday is my dad's 85th birthday. Happy Birthday, Daddy!
 
This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie.

20 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your dad! I hope he gets some cake! I agree that curd on the inside next time would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your father! Your cupcakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful! I thought they were worth the effort too and would love to try them with curd filling. Happy Birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great and I thought about lemon curd too..Happy Birthday to your father ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! And happy birthday to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your dad!!! I'm with you on the lemon curd---I think Bill would have eaten more of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cupcakes. And, I like how you finished them off. Lemon curd. Sounds like it might work. I am anxious to make these and have them at the top of my list when I begin cooking from Chez Moi. Right now I am just trying to get some order back into my tiny kitchen. Heppy Birthday to your Dad. Suspect you're making him a special, special, cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great birthday treat! I think the lemon curd is a great idea. I love that these cupcakes were pretty un-fussy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never met a person who hates cupcakes. I thought the frosting was the best too. Happy Birthday to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to your Dad! These cakes were good, but I agree that a dash of lemon curd might have been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your dad. Glad to see your picktures without snow! Your cupcakes look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to your Dad! Did he try the cupcakes? Because they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you might be right about the lemon curd! I think I will try that next time. We loved the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think these would have been better with lemon curd, rather than the marmalade. Enjoyed the texture of the "crusty" frosting. Hope your dad had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated Birthday to your Dad! Bet your family loved those cupcakes...;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cupcakes are not my thing either, but these may be a hit with my husband especially all that lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still like cupcakes, but, yeah, what's with the cupcake-cake? That's just silly. These look great--did your dad get one for his birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't make these, but I will keep them in mind next time I have lemon-loving people to serve them to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated to your dad!! I sure miss mine =) Your cupcakes look great. I actually prefer cupcakes over cakes because I stink at layering and frosting and all of that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy belated birthday to your dad :D
    Little delicious bites of flavour like these cupcakes are the way to go!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.