2015/05/05

Two-fer (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Matzohs & Ka'kat)

One of the things that I have enjoyed the most about baking my way through Baking with Julia is that it pushes me out of my normal baking rut and gets me to try things that I would not have considered if left to my own devices.

This is especially true in when it comes to making bread. I enjoy making bread (flat or risen), but I tend to get into a rut. Oatmeal loaf and English muffin toasting bread are great...but there is a whole world of breads waiting to be tried. My next favorite thing could be hiding on my cookbook shelf, but I'd never know it.

The past couple of Baking with Julia recipes are perfect examples of trying something outside the norm.

First up, matzohs.

 

These flatbread like crackers were insanely easy to throw together and served as a reminder that things involving flour don't have to be complicated. Flour, water, salt, sesame seeds and a little bit of elbow grease was all it took to get these oven ready. 

The hardest part was throwing the thin dough disks into a 500F oven without burning myself (I didn't...)

I made a half batch - since there was no way I was going to eat 12 plate sized crackers. I enjoyed snacking on these. 

On the other hand, ka'kat (something like a cross between a soft pretzel and a bagel) took a little bit more effort but those efforts were worth the reward.


Apparently, this bread is often found as a street food in Mediterranean regions.

When I saw that this was a yeasted bread and required a couple of rises, I wasn't sure how I was going to fit this one in. But... an unusually warm evening and an even more unusual night at home was all that was needed to pull these off.

I left the mixer in the pantry and kneaded this one by hand. King Arthur's high gluten flour worked like dream - creating a silky dough that did exactly what it was supposed to.

Did I mention that there was a slightly exotic twist to this recipe? Ground mahlab (made from the seeds of a certain species of cherry) added an exotic touch to these treats. (You know, that thing that makes you wonder what it is, but you can't quite pin it down.). An egg was was added for color and sesame seeds added a bit of texture.

Fresh out of the oven, these were addictively good. Heck, they were only two inches big - so no one felt guilty about seconds. Like the matzoh, I opted to make a half batch. Down sizing my baking has been an ongoing challenge at chez Cher - I am getting better at it, but still...

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. Lauren Groveman demonstrates her matzoh making skill here and one bloggers version of ka'kat can be found here.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree…best part of being in this baking group is trying new things that I know I wouldn't any other way. Yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the challenge of trying things I would not normally attempt. Both your motzohs and ka'kats look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only burned myself once on those matzos and was pretty pleased with myself. your ka'kat look awesome-- puffy and soft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the matzos during Passover and absolutely loved them. They are so much better than store bought, and when you aren't eating bread they really are amazing. The Ka'kat's were good too, weren't they? I definitely didn't stop at eating one.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.