2015/06/02

Bread, with benefits (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Fruit Focaccia)

Every once in a while, I have this fantasy.

Now, my fantasy is not overly erotic (sorry); however, since it is my fantasy it gets to be whatever I want it to be. Right?


In this fantasy, I have beautifully organized cupboards.

Everything is rotated on a first in/ first out basis.

Nothing goes to waste (because in this fantasy, I go all Tamar Adler on all those bits and pieces hanging out at least once a week).

So. Not. Happening.

However, this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe did bring me one step closer to Adler-ization.

The recipe was for a fruited focaccia - using a copious amounts of dried cranberries and golden raisins. Since I am in cleaning-out-the-cupboards-so-that-I-don't-have-to-move-it mode, there are no copious amounts of anything hanging out.

Just sad little random piece bags of dried things. A quarter cup of cranberries. A half cup of golden raisins. A few tablespoons of currants. Golden berries - I am not even sure what the heck golden berries even are, but I had almost a cup of them hanging out.

Some of these were still supple; others were a little less so - nothing a long soak in hot water couldn't fix. The soaking water was used as the liquid element in the focaccia dough. Tamar would be so proud (No, not really - I am sure there are no dried up bits of anything hanging out in her cupboards. After all, this is the woman who rinses and reuses lettuce for Pete's sake).

Fortunately, my hiatus from most kitchen activities did not haunt me throughout this recipe and I was able to successfully marry this excess of fruit with a ball of dough. Unlike other focaccia that I have made, the fermentation on this bread happens on the back side (a 24 rest in the refrigerator after the first rise -  instead of a pre-ferment).

I have come to appreciate bread projects that can be broken out across a couple of days. While there are some days that I don't mind being tied down to the "will of the dough", there are times when I just don't want the commitment (it's not you, it's me). Sometimes, a girl just needs her freedom and wants bread with benefits...especially warm from the oven with a little butter on top.

At this point in my life, any recipe that pushes me into the dark recesses of my pantry and lets me be flexible with my time is a winner in my book.

Peace out.

XO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for fruit focaccia can be found here.

10 comments:

  1. Your focaccia looks really good even with all the little bits and bunches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hear you on the "eat it so you don't have to move it" front. I have so many odds and ends of various grains around. Thus, my amaranth breakfast. It made a lot more than I expected. I'll be eating it all week, after which I'll probably never want to see it again. Good luck with your move!! The bread looks delicious (bc it's bread, and every bread looks delicious).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Cher you crack me up! Thank goodness I don't have any awareness of this Tamar person, or I'd be immensely guilty about all of the stuff I just tossed out of my veggie drawer. =) However, I do agree that this focaccia is the perfect vehicle for all of the dried fruit taking up space in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never imagined focaccia in a sweet version. Seems like a good vehicle to get to know your pantry better, esp the neglected parts:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to make use of the little bits in your cabinet. I love when I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a beautiful fantasy that is! I too love any recipe that lets me clean out my pantry. I was excited to see An Everlasting Meal get a shout out... its on my wishlist! Your focaccia turned out so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I've settled down to a life of Ezekiel whole grain bread...I still look back fondly on the days were I enjoyed several breads with benefits relationships. Enjoy they while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bread with benefits - what a phrase. Love it. Love it. I don't envy you your move but know that it is an exciting one for you all. That you can keep cookin' and workin' and packin' and sortin' with very little sleepin' amazes me. This, too, in time, will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I meant to come and tell you that everything is OK, I've just been lazy about posting. Thank you for checking in. I can't believe you're moving and STILL keeping up! What a woman! Now, I think I'll go clean out the pantry and make this bread. It's one of the ones I passed up. Blessings on your move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work keeping up with everything and clearing out your cupboards. Amazing. And the focaccia looks fabulous to boot.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.