2015/07/07

Savory & Sweet (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Savory Puffs & White Chocolate Patty Cake)

Life is a balancing act.

Heavy. Light.

Fast. Slow.

Up. Down.

Dark. Bright.

Oh, and we can't forget sweet and savory..


Somewhere in the midst of life's craziness, our Tuesdays with Dorie recipes gave us the chance to explore both the sweet and the savory.

This white chocolate patty cake is a sponge cake that reminds me of a cheesecake - only lighter. I wasn't sure how 12 ounces of white chocolate, ten eggs (minus 4 whites), some sugar and a little bit of flour were going to come out. Silly me.

The thick raspberry puree and copious amounts of raspberries on top didn't hurt....  Just saying.


We took a trip to the savory side back in the month of June with these salmon filled puffs. Although the pate a choux looks like your typical puff - there was an unexpected savory twist with the addition of onion and cucumber juice in the choux dough. (I was a little worried about the juicing aspect of the vegetables, as my juicer is sitting in a box somewhere in a storage unit - I will be so happy when we finally move and I can get some order restored to my life.)


We loved the choux puffs (and could have eaten those all night long), but were less enthralled with the cream cheese/ salmon filling. I would love to try these again with some kind of mushroom pate or a different salmon filling.



This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The video for the savory puffs can be found here. The recipe for white chocolate patty cake can be found here.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, that cake looks so good! And I love that we do some savory baking here, too...still have a few savory puffs in the freezer, waiting for some kind of filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved the cake! Yours looks beautiful. It is such a showy cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Cher! We liked the cake too, to our surprise. It was an odd combo of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made either of these yet, but both of yours came out well. I especially liked your description of the patty cake. Now I definitely want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good with the raspberries on top Cher. I would love a slice of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks wonderful. I need to try those choux puffs and follow your recommendations. Your patty cake is perfection. Just so you know. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your recipes look scrumptious! I've seen several people opt out of the salmon filling. I used a vegetable cream cheese spread for my puffs that everyone ended up liking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow! I am going to have to pay more attention to the Baking with Julia schedule. Both those dishes look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.