2015/12/16

Things Work Out (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Vanilla Hazelnut Cheesecake)


Because it rains when we wish it wouldn't,
Because men do what they often shouldn't,
Because crops fail, and plans go wrong-
Some of us grumble all day long.
But somehow, in spite of the care and doubt,
It seems at last that things work out.



There seems to be a balance between taking one's self seriously enough and taking one's self too seriously. If any one knows the secret to finding that balance, please share...

Occasionally, the contemplation of existential thoughts happens during such mundane activities as flipping a cheesecake out of a pan. And utterly failing.

It started innocuously enough - a vanilla bean cheesecake with a twist (some of the cream cheese is traded out for strained cottage cheese) that is laced with a caramel/ hazelnut paste. The batter was typical of a cheesecake and it baked up beautifully in the recommended 8" cake pan (that was lined with parchment and lightly greased).

In retrospect, I think the pan choice was the fatal flaw in this recipe. I read the recipe a few times thinking that I was missing something. I had a conversation in my head and told myself that this may not slide out as easily as the recipe suggested.

Eventually, after some never-to-be-repeated kitchen gymnastics the cake came out in pieces. Desperate times call for desperate measures. (If company was present, I probably would have found some fruit and figured out how to call it a "trifle"). It wasn't the show-stopping cheesecake dessert I was hoping for, but once it was on the end of a fork no one was complaining.

Take-aways:

1) I will always be in wonder of the ability of a baking soda bath to remove nut skins
2) Hazelnut brittle is delicious
3) Don't use a cake pan for cheesecake
4) Listen to yourself

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for vanilla-hazelnut cheesecake can be found here. (I would suggest using a spring form and skip the parchment but add a crust...)

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to be back in the States, have Internet connection again and be able to read about your 'not so exciting Life". Love the Guest, "Things Work Out" poem. And, they do, I guest. (Just had to be clever.) That one slice of cheesecake looks beautiful and, one slice, for a photo opportunity, was all that was needed. It's all about the taste. But, lesson learned. I will remember all of your 4 Tips forever (or, at least through the holidays). Merry Christmas to you and yours. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness it tasted great after the trouble of removing it from the pan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely - you managed a slice for the photo. I haven't heard of the baking soda bath trick - I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed your recommendation and avoided the flip! Yours still looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.