2015/12/07

Tuesdays with Dorie Baking Chez Moi: Apple Kuchen, Tiger Cakes, Apple Pielets, Chocolate-Covered Toffee Breakups, Pear-Cranberry Rollup, Stained Glass Cookies)

So, I started writing this post in the middle of September. It is now December. Three months of baking to cover here.
__________________________

A whole lot of random thoughts are filling my head these days.

Like, how long is it going to take the contractors to finish jack-hammering out the front entrance at work? It is hard to concentrate with all that hammering going on all day (and it shakes the floors).

Chocolate-Covered Toffee Breakups
When did kids stop pedaling their own bicycles? Several of the kids in the new neighborhood spend their days and evenings tearing around on electric dirt bike looking things. I suppose its fun for them, but isn't pedaling kind of part of the point of riding a bike? (Plus, they terrorize the walkers as they going flying by). I just don't get it.

I haven't yet figured out the trick to making caramel on an electric stove. Sigh.

Tiger Cakes
My parent's dog is not happy when I spend time doing other things besides pay attention to him when I am at their house. (Somehow, I don't think that is limited to me. He is the supreme ruler of his universe...)

Starting off with a clean kitchen is a surefire guarantee that some major mess/ spill is about to go down.

Pear-Cranberry Rollup
Single stream recycling makes life so much easier.

Freshly sharpened knives and clean sheets make the world a better place.

No, there is no such thing as too many cookbooks.

Stained Glass Cookies
Apples taste better when you pick them yourself.

I am giving myself permission to not make life so difficult on myself. At least that is what I keep telling myself. The Ina also gave me permission to do so. Cranberry sauce in a can it is...

Apple Kuchen
The longer you put off doing something, the harder it is to get it done. Then, you have to take the whole "rip-it-off-like-a-bandage" approach. It usually hurts less than you thought it would.

I took that approach with my Christmas shopping this year - I didn't put it off and it was not as painful. That being said, I saved the most difficult people to shop for until last.


 Apple Pielets
Obviously, since I am catching up with recipes since September, I was not as vigilant with my Tuesdays with Dorie posting. But here I am. Band-Aid ripped. All is forgiven?

Peace out.

XO

This post participates (in spirit, if not always in writing) in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipes for all of the desserts featured here can be found in Dorie Greenspan's latest book Baking Chez Moi. For the record, my favorite recipe from this batch are the Chocolate-Covered Toffee Breakups. UTTERLY. ADDICTIVE.

13 comments:

  1. There will never ever be such a thing as too many cookbooks.
    I need to make that toffee asap.
    Happy holidays Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always entertaining. Loved the beautiful photos. And yes the toffee was very addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dishes look amazing Cher! The kuchen!! WOW! And that toffee? Um, I cannot make that again - too addictive. Good luck with the next couple of weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good. There's still time for me to catch up. Who am I kidding? You'll just have to tell me your favorite and I'll make that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those all look beautiful! I haven't made half the recipes from the last three months, so you're ahead of me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great roundup of your baking. The chocolate toffee breakups were definitely the favourites here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice train of thought! And gorgeous bakes ! There is never such a thing as too many cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bakes look great! The toffee break-ups were totally addictive--I had to give mine away or I would have eaten them all. My husband's favorite was the pear-cranberry tart and I'll be baking that again this weekend. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, everything looks great. The toffee recipe was by far one of the best and not something to have around too often. Hope you
    are settled and comfy in your new home, it's always exciting to make
    a move to something new. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous round up Cher. I especially love your heart shaped tiger cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks awesome! (cue 'Everything is awesome' song in head) Seriously, impressive pics! And glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to catch up…great job! I especially liked the heart shaped tiger cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photos, and I agree about the cookbooks. Never too many. I'm so impressed! And that jackhammer would be driving me nuts too. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.