2016/02/05

And so it begins... (Cook the Book Fridays: Winter Salad)

Fridays are back....

It's been many months since the French Fridays with Dorie group wrapped up their four and a half year journey cooking their way through Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table.

Apparently, I am not the only person who was jones-ing for a new adventure since some of the former FF crew found a new project for us to cook along to. (Thank you Katie, Mary & Betsy)



In the words of our administrators: "Cook the Book Fridays has its origins in a group of bloggers who cooked through Dorie Greenspan’s Around My French Table.  The camaraderie and friendships have been without parallel and so we aimed to continue our cooking connections. Cook the Book Fridays will start with bi-weekly posts on David Lebovitz’s My Paris Kitchen."

So there you have it. More French-ish cooking but through the eyes of a different cookbook author.

I was pretty excited to see that this was the book selected: 1) since I am baking my way through two of Dorie's other cookbooks, I needed something non-baking to balance my diet out; 2) I missed the French theme; 3) I already owned the book and have cooked several recipes from it (hello mustard chicken and salted caramel mousse); 4) I am a huge fan of David L's.

Earlier last year, I had the opportunity (along with some of our FF crew) to attend a cooking demonstration (and wine pairing) that Mr. Lebovitz led. Although I have been an admirer of his books and writing for several years, I wasn't sure how that would translate to meeting him in person. I found him to be just as charming in person as he is in his writing and I wasn't as intimidated by him as I thought I would be.

Fortunately, the CTBF crew threw an easy one our way to start things off with: winter salad.

I often forget that salads don't have to have a mega ton of green stuff on the bottom to be satisfying. In David's winter salad, endive serves as the base for a creamy yogurt/ Roquefort (or Gorgonzola Dolce in my case)/ chive dressing. I threw on some chopped pear and hazelnuts to round things out. Some thinly sliced celery or radishes (as Mardi suggests) would also be rather lovely.

We paired this with the upcoming steak w/ mustard butter and fries. Definitely worth the calories...

This post participates in Cook the Book Fridays. Since we are in week 1, there are really no excuses to not pick up a copy of My Paris Kitchen and start cooking along... Just sayin'

See you in a couple weeks.

Peace out.

XO

16 comments:

  1. Awe, so good to "see" you again. Week 1 and I'm already running late, but I loved this salad the first time I made it (if only I'd had the foresight to take a few pictures!) and will be more than happy to make it again. I'm guessing mine will also be paired with steak:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to sit out Week 1, b/c I'm preggers, and so am not supposed to eat moldy cheeses. In a recipe with so few ingredients, the cheese seemed like the highlight, so...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too loved the ease of this salad, I did not think to pair it with the steak!! -maybe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very happy to 'see' you again Cher! The weirdest thing today, Gary said 'peace out' when he left for the drug store! I immediately thought of you:) Your salad looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to be cooking through another book with the FFWD crew! After seeing all these versions of the salad with apple/pear and nuts, I am wishing I had tried those add-ins. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to be cooking with you again. I haven't been able to get into the baking thing, so I'm glad for this more savory project. Tasty salad. Maybe I'll make it again with the steak. I'm saving the steak for Valentine's Day next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Cher, being able to cook with you again and contending with the Piglet competition also is almost too much excitement for me. But, I will try. Your salad looks delicious and, yes, it would be a perfect combo with steaks and frites (which I haven't done yet). Your prose, as always, makes me smile. I'm excited to be with my FFWD buddies again. If Joe were here, I make us some Caipirinhas to celebrate. Since he is not, I have poured myself a nice glass of cabernet. Salut, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This salad would be perfect with the steak. I'm trying to find a time to make steak when it won't torture the poor vegan - it sounds really good.

    So glad that this project has taken off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Concur with all your points as to why we are now here! Great to be doing FF again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cher, It is so wonderful to be commenting on your blog and actually cooking some great French food with you! I am ready for another group and who better to cook with then our Dorista friends! I served mine with pears and pecans...I love pears with blue cheese!
    Happy Friday Cher!! It's been too long!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, this salad would be great paired with the steak and what an awesome French-ish dinner to have, Cher! It's so good to see you again and I'm so glad you joined in!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always love reading your posts Cher! This was a reasonably easy one to get back into a new group with - of course, I didn't make it exactly as written (Gorgonzola for me too), but it was still delicious. So excited to be back cooking "together".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited Cher! I am going to grab the book and start. I have missed the wonderful people in this group :)
    The salad looks great and I think it will be a nice salad for our summer here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As soon as I can get my act together I am hoping to pair this
    salad with the steak and frites. Nothing like starting a project and
    having to do a makeup first thing. It's great posting with you again,
    I'm glad this all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to see the gang all together again. Enjoy the new book.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.