2016/02/09

My mother's daughter (Tuesdays with Dorie Baking Chez Moi: Lemon Squares, French Style & Milk Chocolate Panna Cotta)

That point in time when I realized that I had turned into my mother was pivotal. It started out innocently enough - a look, a thought, a gesture. Then, I would hear myself talking to my children and those conversations were easily a replica of ones that my mother and I had twenty years ago.

I never thought about what it must have been like for my mother to realize that one of her children was turning into her.

It was a jarring moment when I realized that my daughters were starting to turn into me. This could have both positive and negative repercussions.

I think I smell a midlife crisis coming on.

You may ask "what on earth does your midlife crisis have to do with baking"?


The answer? Nothing really. I just had to get that off my chest.

However, if a connection has to be drawn, I can safely say that in addition to my nagging ways, my daughters have also acquired my predilection for citrus - especially lemon. Come to think of it, my mother's tastes may run along the same lines. Perhaps it's genetic?

With a cookie-like base and an almond crumb topping, Dorie's Lemon Squares, French Style are not your typical lemon bar; but when you put creamy lemon curd on top of a cookie, I don't think anyone is going to spend too much time worrying about typical. The most difficult thing about this recipe was deciding whether to serve them warm or cold.


Dorie's Hot Chocolate Panna Cotta is a unique twist on the traditional creamy gelatin dessert. Cocoa and bittersweet chocolate lent the "hot chocolate" flavor aspect. It was like chocolate pudding, but lighter. 

This chilled dessert was a refreshing treat on a warm (?!?!) February day.

Now, what would my mother have to say about that? I probably already know the answer...

XO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie.

17 comments:

  1. Sneaky familial genes:) Glad to hear from you. I complained about how rich the lemon bars were but we managed to eat the whole lot, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lemon squares were so rich and so delicious. You could only have a small bite at the time. We finished it all and I was asked to make them again soon. I´m not a fan of panna cotta it is too creamy for my taste but the rest of the family loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The panna cotta looks delicious! I'm looking forward to it.
    We loved the lemon bars as well.
    I've been hearing myself sounding more and more like my mother lately! It makes me laugh every time I catch myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I often think I am becoming my mother, except she is more reserved than me. I adore citrus too - but I will never turn down chocolate either. Both of your desserts look scrumptious. I haven't made the panna cotta yet but the lemon bars were exceptionsl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're all destined to turn into our mothers. I LOVED the lemon bars, and will be making the panna cotta in a week or so for my chocolate-pudding-loving husband's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lemon squares and panna cotta both look perfect! The panna cotta really was a nice treat for this warm February weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! I often wonder if I'm more like my mother or my father's mother...jury's still out. Both of these look great, esp the lemon squares!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks wonderful, Cher. My lemon bars are still in the
    freezer and I take out one at a time. Seriously, they freeze well.
    I love the panna cotta, it is so delicious. Jim wants to know when I will
    be making it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you write although I didn't know where you were going in this post. Citrus/Lemon Squares, I get the connection. The chocolate panna cotta can stand on its own. That looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No escape for being my mother's daughter. Apples don't fall too far from the tree. There are not too many mothers and daughters who won't like this chocolate panna cotta. Smooth, dark and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a side note, I think baking and a mid-life crisis go hand-in-hand. It's more sensible than buying a sports car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's often Dorie's "twists" that make her desserts so special. Both look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll never forget doing my mother's growl/groan combo at my kids and then crawling under the covers at the realization that I was turning into her! I didn't have the best mother, but there is no denying I'm her daughter. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed reading your post…we can all relate to it at some level :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I so know about turning into my mother. Luckily, I think she's awesome, but I do have to laugh about it. And if a love for citrus is passed down, so much the better! Both of your desserts look fabulous. Can't wait to try the panna cotta myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. both the lemon squares and Panna cotta look really delicious! Yumm. I think a love for citrus is very cool and if its inherited then so much more charming!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm still looking for an excuse to catch up on the lemon squares but I did make the panna cotta and loved it. As for becoming like my mother, I've been told (in exasperated tones) that we have the same sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.