2016/03/01

And that's all I have to say about that. (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Meringue Cookies)

Egg whites have long been my Waterloo.

However, after several years of facing them over and over and over again in Baking with Julia I am pleased to announce...


...that I still don't have the knack of it.

However, on occasion, I am able to get it right.

I think it's pretty amazing that with one egg white, a pinch of salt, a quarter cup of sugar and lots of whipping with the mixer, and long, slow bake a person is able to create fluffy little pillows of sugary goodness. I am pretty sure that the lack of humidity didn't hurt.

This was such an uneventful experience, that I just don't have anything to say about it.


If I was feeling more creative, I could have piped them into interesting shapes or used them as a base for some lovely dessert. A pinch of color or a dash of flavoring would have also been fun.

Regardless, we ate them straight up. And that's all I have to say about that.

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. Virginia Willis speaks about meringue here.

5 comments:

  1. You know Cher, though I bake countless macarons, meringues are still not entirely straightforward for me either. So....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it better when you have a lot to say. But, this was amusing. As always with your posts, I smile and sometimes LOL. I've made meringue cookies and small pavlova's (I never knew they had a name until a few years ago). Once during the holidays when I filled them with peppermint ice cream with homemade chocolate topping, the meringues were so hard that two of them went flying across the dinner table when guests tried to cut into them with a spoon. I just put them back on the plate for each guest and they carried on! And, that's all I have to say for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting it right is such a good feeling. Enjoy the moment. What a pretty sight with the meringue peaks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many variables that can make meringues go wrong - even the weather can be your enemy. It's nice to be rewarded with beautiful ones, even if it's not every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a terrific photo of a stiff peak if I've ever seen one. I'm so glad it turned out so well because it does take a leap of faith and investment of time. Your meringues look great.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.