2016/03/18

Don't get mad (Cook the Book Fridays: Belgian Beef Stew w/ Beer & Honey-Spice Bread)

"You can't get mad at weather because weather's not about you. Apply that lesson to most other aspects of life." - Douglas Coupland
This bizarre Upstate NY winter has not set the perfect stage for typical winter fare. We've had ten inches of snow so far this winter - the average for this time of year is 40" +. Although I have enjoyed the milder temperature, it has certainly thrown my cooking repertoire for a loop. What does one make when it's 60F in January? Or raining and 50F in February?





The Belgian beef stew with beer & spice bread from My Paris Kitchen certainly gives one the strong desire to pull up next to the fire and take comfort in a hearty meal - that is, if one didn't already have the windows open because the air conditioning was staring to kick on...

The process started with making the honey (and molasses)-spice bread for the stew and thought the bread was a winner. The beef and beer stew followed typical stew format; however, a few slices of the bread were added in toward the end of the cooking time to thicken the broth. This was a refreshing change up from the red-wine based versions. The only issue I had with this stew was that there weren't any carrots in it... 

I am sure that if I hadn't just finished reading fifty pages of international economics, I would have something more clever to say. Somehow, forward contracts, currency exchanges and options hedges don't put me in the food mood. Although, it does make me crave the rest of that Belgian ale from the stew...




This post participates in Cook the Book Fridays - an online cooking group that is currently making its way through David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen. We just started cooking our way through this book, so there is plenty of time to pick up a copy and start cooking along...

11 comments:

  1. I agree that this needed some carrots. And maybe potatoes. And maybe the bread on the side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This El Niño year has meant a snowless winter for us (at least in Vancouver proper) and a great pile of snow on the ski slopes, where it belongs. I'm also hoping that the monsoon-like conditions we had for weeks will make up for last year's drought. So, I'm not mad at the weather at all. Glad the stew was a hit - I'm curious to try it sometime. I was also intrigued with your addition to the spice bread. A little hot pepper in the mix sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, Cher. It's been a while since we've had a "normal" year of weather here in Colorado. I guess unusual is the the new normal. Nice looking pain d'epices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in the mids of a heat wave in Malaysia, but lucky for me.. I do all my baking, and cooking for CtBF in the nights! Great idea with the molasses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In total agreement that the spice forward bread is more exciting than a currency forward contract. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We both enjoyed this one. The bread was so good and a great way to
    use up some of my spices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoyed having a beef-stew in my recipe box that issn't red-wine based. Loved the bread. I will make that again. The beef stew, probably not tii iften. International Economics, very impressive and way above my pay grade. I don't have a clue about options hedges and forward contracts and I used to be an business & economics journalist (that was before my food blogging career blossomed.XOX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weird weather here too. Did you get snow today? Happy spring! I think you'd rather be reading cookbooks that international economics. I didn't dislike the stew, but it didn't make me a fan. I try and try, but I think beef stew will just never be my thing. Happy studying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's comforting to hear that the crazy weather is across the board and we are all confused! We just had about 6 weeks of solid heat so making this stew was definitely with air con on!
    Your bread and stew look great, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahem, I hate to say this, but some of us make stew when it's 50 outside. *shyly raises hand* Glad you enjoyed it, Cher!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet you could add carrots to the stew. ;) My mom tells me she added a handful of potatoes to hers for the last hour of cooking. Your stew and bread look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.